Which db is most recommended/commonly used with rails?

New rails member on the block.

Excited to learn this new stuff while building my next app.
Question is, tutorials I looked at used sqlite, the default, which I think isn’t a recommended choice for app development?

I’m looking at mongodb and even mysql (just because I’m familiar with it).
Mongodb doesn’t make use of the activerecord (I don’t know what its called, a class?). Is using activerecord so called best practice? http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Rails+3±+Getting+Started

Is there a popular or recommended database that runs well with rails? Just like PHP is like always run with mysql?

Btw, I picked up my PHP skills here. Hopefully I could do the same with rails :wink:

SQLite is very convenient during development in Rails. It is small, file-based, and portable.
As a bit of a “perfectionist” I tend to spend a whole lot of time in development, on my local machine.

I, too, have far more experience with MySQL and use it for my production database on Rails projects. Remember that you can configure a different db for each Rails environment (“development”, “production”, “test”).
Rails migrations make it really easy to build up a new database once you switch from development to production.

For beginners, I recommend sticking with using MySQL.

Hmm…I think I’ll stick to sqlite for now. Seems like using it doesn’t make much difference if we’re using active record.