Which is best joomla or wordpress

I want to create a medical site by me no professional web developer. For this I want to know which is best joomla and wordpress. I have a free site on blogger but I want to migrate it to my own domain. Any idea which is easy to create a site on joomla or wordpress.

1 Like

I just installed Joomla but haven’t done a complete evaluation of it yet. What I did like about Joomla is that their back end administrator pages look good on my android smartphone. Wordpress lags behind in this but they do have a native android app which isn’t too bad (although I couldn’t run their latest version on my mobile because it was buggy).

I have heard, somewhere, that Joomla scales better for larger sites. Its a cleaner design. Someone asked a similar question in http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228564. The first link that @Chavista quoted was an interesting read. It compares wordpress, Joomla and Drupal.

I would say look at both and see what you like. Much of it is personal taste.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2

thanks to reply. I didn’t see thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?1228564-WordPress-Drupal first. I know joomla but wordpress is more attractive to me and some person migrated their site joomla to wordpress. So I am in hesitation.

You can, of course, map your own domain with blogger. I know someone who has done it. If that’s your only reason then that’s what I would do.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2

I still prefer wordpress.

Why? A statement like that is of no use to the OP. Why do you prefer it and, more importantly, why do you think it would be the best solution for the OP?

I will prefer word press because it easy to use and has more that thousands plugins.

Its better if you go with wordpress its very easy to learn and to create and it is also more attractive then joomla i prefer wordpress is the best option.

I prefer to Wordpress because it’s easy to use and SEO friendly.

Like others have said Wordpress is VERY SEO friendly and that’s important, even if you consider yourself “just” a web designer. The other thing I’d say having used both is that Wordpress is a LOT easier to use in terms of getting into the code and the plugins can’t be beat. Overall it’s far less headache inducing frankly. And couple it with a code editor (like the free Komodo editor or Dreamweaver) and you’re good. Not only that but it’s another tool in the toolbox and will increase your value to clients.

Wordpress hands-down. I have used both Joomla and Wordpress and the ease-of-use; the great community, and the plug-ins greatly outweigh the non-intuitive back-end of joomla and as others have mentioned…the SEO is great out-of-the-box.
-A

Hi nuxcorner …

my advice

1. Seek comments/advice from people who have actively developed more than one site on both frameworks. You will find a number of fanboys for either option very willing to make a recommendation for one C/BMS (Content/Blog Management System) without really understanding the business requirement or the true capability/strengths/weaknesses of both C/BMSs.

2. Be very clear on the functionality you are looking for. What is must have, what is nice to have? In particular I have found that for eCommerce requirements, depending on the level of sophistication needed, are an important consideration. The choice of eCommerce tool that meets your needs will usually drive the underlying CMS used.

3. Don’t expect it to be for free. If this is a business website you will want to pay for professional versions of plugins and extensions. The availability of thousands of freeware plugins is attractive on the surface - but not so great when your site is not working properly and the support or lack of it is coming from a a uni student on the other side of the world.

4. Not enough information about your requirements to make a recommendation yet.

2 Likes

If your purpose of having a website is doing blog then I would say that wordpress is better when it comes to blog platform. However, I would suggest that use paid wordpress subscription than free.

I have worked with both joomla and wordpress for over 9 years.

I would not go near joomla until they create a system that will migrate through the constant changes they keep making.

I have just found out that the 3.x series of joomla are full of bugs and they keep throwing out one version after another without sorting out the problems first.

Wordpress on the other hand is seamless when it comes to updates.

For blogging Wordpress is by far the best system.
For a small website it is ideal.

Joomla may well be good for complicated systems but it will require many people to work on it.
It is too complicated and time consuming to use for most.

I realize that many people who like joomla will ask, so what is the problems with 3.x series. Let me say if you have not found out for yourselves yet, then you have not looked deep enough.
I do not have the time to list all the problems I have recently just found.

I’d have to say that Joomla or Drupal are likely to be your best choices for a medical website. In all honesty though, something built from scratch would serve you much better. Medical websites that are not very demanding in interactivity don’t usually demand very much resource wise, and by not using a full scale CMS, you will be cutting down on server costs and requirements, as well as how long it takes your pages to load.

If your medical website has things like online scheduling, patient log ins, and etc…, only then should you really be worried about a CMS. Otherwise, I would steer clear, and just purchase a decently cheap “RESPONSIVE” Html template, and then adjust it to your liking.

I like BOTH - :slight_smile:

The basic difference between WordPress and Joomla is that Joomla is a portal- or community type site while WordPress is a blog. Both overlap each other in several areas and can be extended beyond their original purpose thanks to the use of plugins. You can find those plugins almost everywhere on the internet. Both have a large user base with a lively community where tips and tricks are shared. Both are free to use and many hosting providers have them as an option in their web tools section. WP has a large community of volunteer developers, Joomla can count on many commercial add-ons by specialized professionals.

I develop daily with both Joomla and WordPress and equally love using both.

I also believe in using the right tool for the job. You first need to know what you are building before you select a tool.

Your description: “medical site” is very broad. Do you mean an 8-page website for a dentist or a 2,000 page website for a hospital?

Is the site going to get a lot of visitors? Do you need a place for a blog and for people to make comments? Is site search important? Does the site require a lot of forms? How many people are going to have admin rights to go in and make changes and add content.

I could go on. I know that you would get better answers if you provided more information about your project. Asking a question, “Which is best joomla or wordpress”? will only cause confusion.

In general, I have found that WordPress is great for smaller, marketing and ecommerce sites and blogs. Joomla is better for medium to large sites that have a lot of documents. Joomla has a better built-in site search and an ACL (access control level). Joomla is more complicated than WordPress, but depending on your project, Joomla may or may not be the way to go.

I like wordpress over joomla simply because it has a better overall feel and the plugins and widgets are simple to add and remove.

I used joomla for five years before making the switch - I’m not sure if it was the pressure of everyone else saying they’d moved to wordpress, but I was just tired of the tricks and hints to get new plugins and extra functionality with joomla letting me down.

Which is best? Well, I’m going to put my client hat on and say WordPress.

Why? Because the WordPress content management interface is a lot easier for the average client, who doesn’t spend all day on the computer.

Think clients first. After all, they’re going to be adding and editing content. Might as well make it as easy for them as possible.

A year ago I tested Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress for both ease of installation and availability of plugins/modules for the lowest cost possible. I also had to make something with a real simple interface for non-technical users, that had to be bilingual too. I found that getting anywhere with Joomla or Drupal was fairly complex and ended up going with WordPress. Wordpress core has also really advance rapidly in the ease of internationalization, and is working great for the end users.
I have installed a couple of “Pro” versions of plugins, but for the most part the site works just fine for its purpose, which in this case is a non-profit community centre. I don’t have to do the updates to the site anymore and I have given different users different rights for the various features (Content editing, Calendar editing, volunteer list access…).
So WordPress works for me. It was easier to setup and easier to maintain than Joomla or Drupal, and the community is huge.