Which Linux distro?

Dear Member,
I want to use Apache Linux distro and like to emphasize on Security.

This means I like to have a good protection against hacking and DDos attacks.

What Linux distro should I use? Are books available related to his situation?

Thank you.

Hansie

Most Linux distros are secure enough. If you want the most security, you’ll want SELinux; but any distro should be sufficient.

I have two VMs at home that are Ubuntu Server (14.04 LTS) which are CLI (Command Line) with no GUI. Not too shabby; fairly easy to administer for someone who knows little about Linux (me). I installed the latest Apache and PHP module with little effort; config is easy with Googled instructions.

HTH,

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Usually, servers are hacked using vulnerabilites in common software and libraries (like openssl’s heartbleed lately). That means it doesn’t really matter which distro you will use. There is the same (or very similar) set of software present in any of them.

1 Like

My guess is that Arch Linux is not for you, simply because you had to ask that question :smile:
Arch Linux is not as easy to administer as some of the other distros. I expect someone who administers Arch to know a good deal about distros, enough to answer the question you’ve posed.

IMHO, the security boils down to the admin. You should mess around with a distro like Kali Linux. You can learn a good deal about penetrating Linux systems and in doing so, you’ll know what to protect yourself from. All the best!

If it is your first time to use linux, I advice you to start with either Ubuntu Linux and Linux mint. These Linux Distros or distribution are easy to install and configure. It is easier that windows. Linux mint for instance is very easy to install, just put the installation CD in the CD ROM and just click the configuration you want. No need to install drivers, your wifi, mouse, monitor and keyboard are fully functional out of the box. Linux mint’s essential security protections are turned on by default like firewall to prevent your pc from being hacked. If you are familiar with windows xp and windows vista and even windows 7, Linux mint’s user interface is very similar to that except that all the software you need are already installed.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.