Which of these domains should I use for my start-up?

I’m starting up a humble business that sells SAAS products to small to medium businesses that help them better build and sell on the Internet.

From the dot com names I have below, which do you like the best and think would be most suitable in this case?

1. dotspire - dot, (in)spire, internet, inspire
  2. vessu - nothing but short and pronounceable
  3. ultraly - adv. of ultra, extreme
  4. nexbo - short, pronounceable
  5. ravenl - short, pronunceable, raven
  6. happiware - happy, ware
  7. champino - a play on champion
  8. zeroless - easy to remember? chic?

And why?

I’m asking this is because I’m not a native English speaker and want the opinions of native English speakers since the products will be targeted at them.

Your input would be very much appreciated!

Not this one.

To be honest, I don’t like any.

What are you inspirations for these domain names? Any company titles or phrases to go with these? I can’t see how any of these correlate to your business (not that it has to.)

1 Like

Why not?

Any other one that you think would fit?

I just updated my thoughts and inspirations on each of the names. Can you please elaborate on why none of them seems good to you?

Can you please give some examples of good names for my case?

1. Best option probably
  2. Exactly - nothing going for this besides short and pronounceable. Nothing I like about it.
  3. What does ultra or extreme have to do with your business? Perhaps tying a phrase/company title may make this useful. Otherwise it has nothing to do with your business.
    4/5) See #2
  4. See post #2
  5. Nothing to do with your business. Also “champino” sounds mexican or spanish to me and also I’d likely just typo and go to champion.com. Close names like that generally aren’t good.
  6. See #2.
1 Like

Thank you @RyanReese, you have some great points. The company title / name is still open so I’m basically looking for a company name after the domains I have. 1) would be one of my top options. My second choice is Ultraly. Ultra has a cool scientific / technological sense in Chinese. It’s positive in our book, meaning the boundary or extreme or things like that. I thought it’s a great meaning?

Because HapiJS is a pretty popular Software Framework, backed by the second largest company on the planet (Walmart). Granted it’s a technical thing, but could still be confusing because of the spelling. Which I dislike quite a bit in this context anyway.

I’m with @RyanReese, I don’t like any of them.

1 Like

I wouldn’t post company/domain names here…

What if you come up with a great name and I like it and I take it before you can?

Don’t be so trusting.

The smarter approach is to register the domain names first, then ask a few trusted friends. Then maybe expand out, but posting in a forum online is a great way to lose a great idea!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind tip @mikey_w. These domains I have already registered. So which name among them that looks a trustworthy and professional business to you?

Tell us some more and it will be easier to help. For example…

• Where are you located now? Your business’s location?

• Are you selling COTS software, or home-grown SAAS software?

• Tell us more about your target audience… Churches? Accountants? Retail? E-commerce?

• Why should we pick you over your competition? Price? Quality? Service? Offerings? Expertise?

• What are some specific Products and Services you sell?

1 Like

Glad to help!

Glad to hear! You just can’t be too careful - especially with domain names!

Well, I hate to say, but none of them really “Wow!” me. Then again, help us to better understand your business, and then a good name should be easier to spot. :smile:

1 Like

TBH none of them tie into “Software as a Service” to me.

- BUT - if

and your target audience is Chinese, I guess I’d go with that.

1 Like

Thank you @mikey_w for the detailed thinking. I will think about that and update this post. For the time being, after asking around in a few forums, it seems dotspire is the one to go with. What you think?

It doesn’t really matter what you use as a name, per se. It’s what you do with the brand that counts. Plenty of weird names have become household brands, and we don’t think about how weird the name is any more. For example, Adobe? It’s basically a heap of mud (as well as a creek) but do we think about that when we think of the company? No.

Dotspire has a good ring to it. Personally, I prefer names that have some meaning or significance to me, but that’s your choice. (People will forever ask you what the name means, and for me it would be embarrassing to say it was just a random choice. Adobe got its name from the creek behind the founders’ houses, which is kind of cute.)

2 Likes

I think answering the questions above is a great next move. :wink:

The toughest part of making a dream a reality is writing it down on paper and giving it structure. (It might seem like an irrelevant assignment, but if you can’t articulate what your business is about and who your customers are, then picking a domain name is the least of your worries!)

After you answer those questions, then I’ll share some ideas.

1 Like

I’d go with vessu. Easy to remember, easy to share/spell, not confusing (many people would go to ultra.ly since there’s a trend for startups to use .ly domains).

Your brand name doesn’t need to be related to what you do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.