Which one is better

I own a web design firm and most of the time for any development projects we use PHP and mysql

In recent projects one of my friend told me that ruby and rail is a very good platform and have a very professional community to support for any help needed.

I have php developers working for me but i am not sure if i should switch to ruby and rail

I have seen some very big websites are designed and developed in ruby and rail.

Is it very good as compared to Php and mysql and can it be install on any server like PHP> I do not want clients to spend money to buy some very expensive hosting later.

Also if it is too good than I will think of hiring ruby and rail developer.

I am mainly looking for long term solution so ready to switch if it is too good as compared to other solutions available

You’re asking the wrong questions.

Start with the idea of what you want to build and do some research with people who know to choose the right tools for the job.
You’re not in the position to be choosing technology platforms.

That being said, personally I find Rails is the best way to build web applications for speed of development & programmer happiness.

This is what I want to build

Website like Groupon

Website with a shopping cart

website like a job board

Website like a social networking.

Any platform can do those things.

Personally, I find Rails to be the best way to build them if you’re starting from a blank slate.
It’s really down to skill sets of the developers though.

There are far fewer Ruby programmers than other languages and they tend to cost more to hire.
You really aren’t in the place to be choosing a technology stack - you should be making high level requirements and getting different people to quote.
Focus on deliverables and working software, leave the implementation to developers.

Ruby on Rails is really good because it is assembled using best features of dynamic languages, static languages, oject-oriented languages etc to develop quite productive things. It is an open sources language and they also have a helpful community to get things sorted out.

yes but again as markbrown said there are few ruby and rail developer as compared to php developers and the cost is too much to hire them

As I want to make good profit from hiring them I think php will be a better platform?

There are profitable products built in every language and platform.
It has more to do with execution / market / luck than it does platform, you shouldn’t be asking these questions - focus on the money / outcomes and leave implementation to a team who knows what they are doing.

I love Ruby, but if you are a PHP shop and can execute well then why switch to a new language? That’s a lot of lost human capital just for the sake of being trendy. I believe Ruby on Rails is actually more expensive and difficult to host and manage then a plain-vanilla PHP setup - honestly. Then, its not like it will magically make it easier for you guys to get good ideas. You will just be able to build the exact same stuff again in a new and unfamiliar language.

keywordsear.ch thats a very Good suggestion.

Yeah I think it will be waste of money to hire new resources and disturb the php shop which is already working.

Thank You very much

Ruby on rails is best way because there is no rush of codes in this development then other developing techniques. It is an open source and most productive and way of web development.