Which setup works best for an early-stage PHP web application?

JL,

I’m too much of a fan of Apache to go looking for Nginx but I must agree that both are “low” cost web servers. Moreover, both reside on a 'nix OS which is critical for security.

Ah! You finally hit on Apache’s sole (IMHO) problem: It’s gotten bloated over the years. Okay, the bloat (presumably) comes from its really great features (and you can turn off the mods you don’t need to run leaner) but it’s those features which make it great! The fact that Apache was developed by the open source community ensures there are either no problems OR that they will be corrected as soon as any are detected.

I’ve been around desktop computers since before they were “desktop computers.” I know that M$ has been extremely heavy handed while it lacks (lacked?) any concern for security. While I have peripheral knowledge of the unethical manner in which M$ is reputed to have “stolen” technology from others, my main problem is that M$ provides “bug-ware” and then SELLS corrections every two years (while introducing a new set of problems). Unfortunately, my investment in applications which must be run on a WinDoze box means that I’m stuck … but only for my desktop, not for a production server.

Okay, time to get off my soapbox (with its long held biases; for the Mac fans, there are a different set of issues centering around Apple’s closed architecture for which they charge artificially high prices - IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, of course).

My strongly held opinions are based on snippets of knowledge gained over too many years to admit to and must be regarded as biases based on my perceptions. If any member must argue against (or for my biases), please do so with someone else.

Regards,

DK