Who wants to know HAWK's deepest darkest secrets?

I’ve been managing this community for almost 5 years now and I love being able to say that I have one of the best jobs in the world. This community is full of so many smart and inspirational people that I learn new things every day. But there is one thing that I’ve been noticing more and more recently, and that is that we seem to be losing a bit of our sense of community. People register, get the info that they’re after and then as often as not, they leave without making any real connections to other people.

So one of the things I’m working on with the staff here at the forums right now is trying to inject a bit more of that sense of community back into this place. We want people to have a bit of fun while they work and I concede that the standard of threads in the General Discussions area has taken a bit of a nose dive of late.

I thought I’d kick off this new enthusiastic approach by giving you the opportunity to get to know the staff a bit better and to prove that I’m not afraid to walk the walk, I’ve put my hand up to go first. To make it more interesting, I’m letting you ask the questions.

If you could ask me one thing – anything – what would it be? Post your question in this thread and the most interesting and entertaining will be incorporated into an interview to be conducted by @Pullo;.

Go for it… I’m not (very) scared!

Just to get the ball rolling, here’s one: how did you end up in the web development field? Did you start out with a background in it, or something else?

what are your favorite hobbies?
bonus question: if you could choose one superpower, what would it be?

A hawk diet is very predictable in that it includes a variety of smaller animals. I’m not surprised that the “new smaller animals” prefer to quickly flee SPF before they become meal.

What made you choose a predatory as nick (and even one where the female is generally larger than the male) and would you consider changing it for a “friendlier” one for the sake of the forums?

Thank you.

Signed,
Billy Black

If too personal please ignore.
Twin care supplanted kick-boxing?

It’s a good question to have but iirc it’s part of her actual name.

I heard a rumourz you worked for Xerox. Is this true and if so what was the work there?

@HAWK;

What do you love most about your country and your life?

These are all great questions! I’m looking forward to the interview…

Interesting question, and one I’ll answer here, rather than in the interview.

It’s not a name that I chose. It’s my actual surname, so no – changing it isn’t really an option. It’s been my online identity for over a decade now.

Do you really think that new members would be put off by something like that? I’d be a little surprised!

I can see you took it far more serious than it was meant… but, really, you’d be surprised when you take a closer look: big red name, predatory hovering bird, red badge, red “PM me if you need help”, red “Community blog”.

Symbolism for the red color goes like this: usually fiery emotional states, “see red” meaning lose your temper, danger and risk, the red ink used to record debits in an account.

Symbolism for the hawk is positive mainly, but a hawk is not an owl, if you know what I mean, and the avatar IS a hawk hovering for prey, not a hawk with a monocle.

Anyway, which of the “five senses” (vision, hearing, taste, smell, touch) would you pick if you could only choose one?

How much money do you make from managing this community (if any) :P?

People would think you were a sweet widdle ding if your name were… say… Dove. :stuck_out_tongue:

ooooh. Ooooooh. Oh I like that. I want to see this. Maybe some kind of SP contest where the winners get to make HAWK change her avatar to this.

We actually thought of that a month of so back (not the monocle, but that the winner gets to design my avatar and make me use it) but the uptake on comps has been so low of late that we didn’t think it would take off.

So if you were not a Hawk… what animal would you like to be?

A kiwi, obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

She needs her heart holding HAWK again - especially since it’s pink for October (and she just LOVES pink :D)

@HAWK: But since you like a pair of everything, is a monocle the right attribute? Or perhaps 2 monocles? And if 2, how do you manage your keyboard? :rolleyes:

Why I oughtta…

monocle + monocle = glasses :wink:

Great questions guys and great image @Francky ; (I really think HAWK should use this as her new avatar :)).

Anyway, I just published the interview.
You can find it here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173607