Why are you here?

Why? Because I really, really, really… REALLY enjoy what I do.
What drives you? I’m a workaholic and I like doing things
What keeps you going through the hard times? I’m stubborn
Do you still hold the same core values as when you first started out? Pretty much
Do you eat sleep breathe and practically live what you do ? What’s this sleep thing you speak of?

Why?

I’m an alpha-girl. Always have been. While I can work for others, it’s not my preference. I need some freedom to be able to experiment, play, fail and succeed. The ability to explore great and not so great ideas is more important to me than the safety of having a 9/5 job. Can’t do that when you’re an employee.

What drives you?

Me.

What keeps you going through the hard times?

Persistence.

Do you still hold the same core values as when you first started out?

Yes.

Do you eat sleep breathe and practically live what you do?

I’ve far too many things I’m obsessed with to focus on just one passion. But I do eat, sleep, and breathe my passions combined.

[FONT=“Georgia”]At first, it was necessity.

I’d always taken on private jobs between my regular nine to five, but after losing my regular job in 2009, I’ve slided into doing my freelancing fulltime to pay my bills.

Then I realised I’ve been doing better and feeling more sane just working for myself, so I kept doing it.[/FONT]

What drives you?

A combination of things. Curiousity about what I’m doing, a strong craving to learn, an unwillingness to have a “regular job”, a constant need for cash.

[FONT=“Georgia”]The knowledge that I’d figured my way out through rough times twice before, so I know at the very least I’ll always be able to survive.

Then on top of that, my craving to travel and one day do astrophotography helps keep me motivated.

Added to that, my wonderful girlfriend and my mom; Not that they push me, but by them being around and counting on me, I want to keep pushing.[/FONT]

Yes, but I’ve only been able to put them into words recently.

Do you eat sleep breathe and practically live what you do ?

[FONT=“Georgia”]They’re on my mind constantly.

[/FONT]

You are? :vinnie:

Why
Bad managers and the corporate mindset of money > all.

What Drives You
The field of web design/development. The reason I went into this profession was because it is always evolving and changing.

The alternative.

Yes, you should never “settle”. You must compromise with clients though. Give them good advice and suggestions, they make the final decision, but at least they had options.

Ayup.

Why?
Because it’s fun, and I am in control of my ride.

What drives you?
I have to do it.

Enjoyment for my job

Pretty much

Do you eat sleep breathe and practically live what you do ?
For better or for worse, yes.

Then you are a very poor business man because the customer is paying you to do a job, yet you are trying to boss your customer around…you got the cart before the horse and are operating in reverse when it comes to doing business.

What a poor business attitude! I hope we don’t ever have the opportunity to do business because I’m firing you now for having such a p*ss poor outlook on your customers…get out, and don’t come back!

What’s even more funny is you don’t have more sense than to say these things on a public forum where potential customers / employers can read it when they are doing a little research on you to make a decision about working with you…

Fired again!

It’s amazing that some people have such bad attitude towards their fellow man. You are reaping what you’re sowing my friend.

Show me exactly where I said anything about bossing my customers around? All I talked about was not letting them boss me around.

So, you’re looking for employees then, not partners. I’m not interested in that and don’t care what potential employers think about me. Nor am I interested in partnerships, for that matter. Meanwhile, all that customers should care about is the product they’re buying from me or the service I provide, the process of development and business relationships involved should be irrelevant. If a particular customer starts caring about something more, they’re not just a customer anymore and if they want to do business on some terms, the terms will be settled between us, and not by them alone. Make sense?

That’s the difference between the employer, the partner and the customer, in my book anyway. So going back to your original argument that customers == the boss, it is just a very big generalization.

BTW, you’ve just fired me twice, but I don’t remember ever working for you. You’re quite a trigger-happy employer. :stuck_out_tongue:

If not willing to submit to someone’s self proclaimed authority is a bad attitude towards a fellow man, then so be it.

self proclaimed authority = guy signing the check so you get paid.
failure to submit = not getting paid, bills piling up, going broke, girlfriend and dog move out, bad situation…

If you want to make money, you’re going to have to satisfy the guy paying for it…or you don’t get any money.
Plus, word will get around that you’re a diva and eventually nobody will want to work with you.
Beware the net

Guys, guys, guys… Your taking this off topic and it’s only a couple of opinions which don’t make a hill of beans difference.

You’re both right! …Under the right set of circumstances :rolleyes:

Sorry! :blush:

That’s what I’ve been trying to say all along, but ended up being accused of bossing my customers around and being fired not once but twice. Damn, it’s hot in here!

Alright, it’s been rather amusing, I’m out.

:smiley:

Hey, you’re the one that has a problem with authority… :eye:

about 3 months ago, was just stumbling along aimlessly inside the www minding my own business when I saw this light on and decided to drop in :lol:

3 months later and I haven’t been kicked out yet :weee:

There’s still plenty of time for that…

:wink:

Why?
It was one of the rare instances where what I love met with what was needed.

What drives you?
Knowing if I ever feel satisfied with my skill level it will mark the beginning of the end.

Being with a woman who married for love first and money second (except on her birthday or Christmas).
Also, knowing if I fail it’s back to the sewage plant. For anyone in the Greater Vancouver Area, I can honestly say your sh*t keeps me motivated. :smiley:

Yes, except thinking that fixed rate billing is ALWAYS the answer.

I like to say that it has a permanent top spot on my interest list, but a situational top spot on my important one.

Great questions btw! :slight_smile:

…And you’re welcome :lol:

if you are honest, it’s not because you’re mother theresa only interested in “helping” everyone. the internet is a business, but, for those who only have “hobby sites” more power to you. for the nerdy, booger-eaters trying to convince us here that we owe sp free content for the good of our souls…sell that message to your kids (they won’t be fooled either). uh, is that what you were asking?

Bold words from someone who’s only added one or two posts of “free” content that add zero value to the conversation.