Why Did Facebook Become So Popular?

I think, Everyone is on Facebook today. I want to know how the social networking site facebook.com become so popular :blush:

It limited who could join. It was stupid simple.

…

I hate everything FB has turned into.

Hi,
A simple answer can be: because of Spam mailing to invite, and because people talk about it.

No. It was something that my generation looked forward to being a part of, because we weren’t allowed in. They began by only accepting college emails, thus limiting their population, driving up demand. Facebook did not spam for users, they had no need to. College students and graduates highly desired to get away from myspace that had been cluttered by anything and everything.

Now facebook has become exactly what people were looking to get away from, third party apps, spam, fake accounts, and members 17 and under. They can get away with this now though because they have already secured the market away from myspace.

Facebook is one of the largest social networking sites of the world. Its system is vary easy. Everybody can create friends easily. Its chatting system is very good. So Facebook is very popular.

I think K. Wolfe is pretty much spot on. When Facebook first started, who could join and who you could view was limited to your particular college. That made it feel more like a close-knit community. And Facebook expanded school by school. Eventually it moved into high schools. Then, with so many of their kids on, Facebook started to attract adults. As more adults joined, they discovered it was easy to reconnect with people they might not have seen for years, and that attracted even more adults.

Good point by K. Wolfe. It started out exclusively that’s why people (college students) went raving about it. There’s this thing as when the more exclusive a thing is, the more people want it. It’s the same way fanboys rave about a certain Jordan shoes that’s limited. Well, you get the point. But then, Facebook went public and I think it just boomed because of word-of-mouth plus it has a more advanced UI than the other social networking sites at the moment.

Also, I kind of thought google plus would become the same since it started out as invite only. Well, I guess it did not turn out that way for them. So, luck must have played a bit on it too.

Nowadays most of all peoples are using Facebook. Facebook helps to share news , images , videos etc…it helps to improve business…many sport stars, actors, leaders are also using Facebook to share massages to their fans…Face Book social Networks site helps in many ways to spread news so Facebook becomes more popular…

in the begning it is very interesting but now people makes it so boring. just beacuse of large quantity of fake id,s…

[font=verdana]I never got that. I wasn’t aware of Facebook – barely even aware of social media – until long after Facebook became open to everyone. For me, the reason for joining and staying on Facebook was that it did what it did really well. It was easy to use. It made it easy to connect with people I knew. I wanted somewhere to share photos, and it was there – unlimited, straightforward, linked with friends, and free. Unlike MySpace, it wasn’t a platform for people to spend days customising and prettifying (or in most cases uglifying) their profile, it was just a place to connect with people – as a result, it felt more grown up than other social media sites.

And then of course, as it started to get more popular, it then reached a critical mass and started to eclipse its computers and push them out to marginal niches. Why would you go to any site other than Facebook when three quarters of all the social media users you know are on Facebook? You’d have to be really perverse to do that. Even people who worshipped other social media sites often have a Facebook account because they know more people there.[/font]

Facebook become popular of many reasons:

1. New platform and options at the time it was launced.
  2. gathered profile for renowned colleges like harvard etc.
  3. now it supports bussiness aplications and games.
  4. user engagement applications and fun apps
  5. bussiness promotion and marketing
  6. these bussiness which depend on facebook for marketing indirectly market facebook on their website and applications. so its a round wheel now which cant be pulled off from anyware.

I would have looked for this to be the case. I want to jump ship but my friends are on facebook. No way out now :frowning:

Its a combination of factors. Generally speaking people are social creatures and when they cant / don’t want to socialize IRL for various reasons they do it online.

I have no idea why FB is so popular. I thinks its because of luck.

In the same way that “google” has become synonymous with search just because of luck? No way! These sites have poured immense amounts of time and money into their development, honing every feature, tweaking things, tightening things, carefully watching what users do, listening to what they say they want … you don’t get to be a global success through luck, you get there through a hell of a lot of hard work and being very smart about it.

Facebook is very fast compare with other social websites.This is one of the best reason.And next one is facebook has a something different style so that all of its users are addicted by it

Because it’s huge network and powerful back up and facilitate our client.

Its popular with everyone because you can easily connect with anyone from around the world.
but the problem that i see with this is as easy as you can gain friends.

The easier for you to get your reputation damaged once a person started to steal your identity
pretends to be you, posts explicit and malicious content on the site and spoof.

Suddenly you’re in big trouble. I think Facebook has to have some sort of Customer Service
that will deal with this. Shut down the bogus account if necessary.

Facebook is very popular in this time because 1st Facebook is a social networking site.
Mostly all the peoples are like Facebook and join Facebook for connecting with all friends and share their views etc…
Facebook messenger is also a good service which peoples chat with all online friends. Facebook is also use for business purpose .

Facebook became popular because anyone can join in this and can chat with everyone and share and view others info and pics.