Why do businesses not choose free websites?

Hello guys and girls!

We offer creation of free websites for anyone who wants to join our business registry.

The website you get is mobile-optimized (works on all modern devices) with a beautiful design. It represents your buiness containing all important information about your beauty salon, your consultancy or restaurant (or other business).

We are wondering now, why many people (even if they do not have a website for their business) do not want such a website? Why is it like that? The offer is free of charge and you have no further obligations.

What would you suggest to be the reason for such a behavior?

Thanks a lot! Any feedback is very welcome!

How much does it cost to join your business registry? Iā€™m guessing there is a cost in which case the web site isnā€™t really free?

That and two other possibilities I can think of.

• those that donā€™t already have a site by now probably donā€™t want one, ā€œfreeā€ or otherwise
  • ā€œfreeā€ sites are almost always not professional eg. the site is a subdomain and / or has ā€œbannersā€, email address donā€™t look like theyā€™re from the site, there isnā€™t enough control over the site available. etc.
1 Like

They are also not free. While they may not charge the business for the hosting etc those things cost money that has to be obtained from somewhere. The most common way these are paid for is by the provider displaying ads on the pages and collecting the advertising income but there are lots of other ways that such ā€˜freeā€™ sites can be paid for.

2 Likes

People are wary of anything that appears to be too good to be true, because it usually is. If youā€™re offering them a free website then they will assume (usually with good cause!) that thereā€™s a catch in there somewhere ā€“ such as hidden or deferred charges, intrusive advertising, or just a really shonky standard.

Even if none of those things are true for your service, businesses are understandably wary about ceding control of something as important as a website to someone who they have no contractual relationship with. Itā€™s one thing to pay a web designer to build your website on your URL, because you still have control and ownership of that site. But if you are doing something for free on a website that they have no control over, thatā€™s a scarier prospect.

Speaking of. What happened to my old free GeoCities site !

In such free websites; mostly it is a sub domain with limited control over website publication.

Is it listed in the archive? http://www.geocities.ws/archive/ or http://www.oocities.org/

Not that I could find. And thankfully not :wink:

All kinds of animated gifs, auto-play mid files, garish colors and poor design.

It was back in my newbie ā€œOoooh, I can do thisā€ days and so I did.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame :wink:

Yes a lot of GeoCities sites were like that, oh the joy, but many of todays top designers probably made their first site using similar services (not that many would let on)?

Itā€™s also worth remembering that there were some very decent and informative sites on GeoCities back in the day, not just site full of gifsā€™!

For me, since I was around 15 when geocities was popular, and also considering I had 0 ability to buy my own domain, it was a haven for me. Iā€™m not ashamed to admit the designs blew (heck, even today Iā€™m still AWFUL at designing. Iā€™m just a little less terrible at it today :wink: ).

Because a lot of businesses think free websites is limited on itā€™s functionalities and features and that cannot sustain their business for a long span of time.

Thatā€™s because they are - they canā€™t have you implementing the same things on your site to make money as they are implementing in order that they can make money from offering to host your site ā€œfreeā€. ā€œFreeā€ hosting is usually far more expensive than paid hosting.

Each year since I switched from ā€œfreeā€ to paid hosting it has cost me at least $300 less for the hosting than it cost when it was ā€œfreeā€.

According to me free websites are not professional and nowadays most of websites are ā€œFREEā€ for a trail period after that it will ask for paid site. So, If antone wants to do business then he/she should choose professional and authenticated site.

Post edited by TechnoBear to remove self-promotion

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.