Why do you not use Opera?

I am working on an article and doing a bit of research beforehand, so I’m posting this here and a few other places. I am not interested in debating, just gathering some quick information; therefore, I do not plan on countering any claims (different for me, eh?).

My question is why do you not use Opera? Just one main reason and try to sum it up in as few words as possible. Also post what browser and OS you do use.

If you use Opera please feel free to explain briefly the main reason that you use Opera.

A very good question given that Opera is closer to the standards than either browser they are using. Perhaps they like using proprietary tags that standard compliant browsers don’t support.

And what ‘standards’ do you have that Opera doesn’t cover?

Because I have Firefox/IE too.Opera doesn’t cover my standards at all.

I’d always prefer Firefox. I am using more than 10 plugins for my everyday work, they are not available within Chrome, Opera, etc.

Yes well many of the really good features built in to Opera show up as Firefox extensions eventually.

I use Opera as my regular browser, but if there would be any reason to not use it, it would be for using sites that are botched up in Opera.

I am also dismayed at Opera’s lack of portablilty. When I went on vacation a few months ago, and wanted to read my RSS feeds, I ended up copying one of the files relating to mail settings or something to my laptop. Why doesn’t it have OPML support?

Vinnie - I wanted to clarify that I have much more trouble with Windows Firefox than Mac (even on my PowerPC mini with - lots of spinning beach ball time - due to having little RAM - but it almost never crashes) crashing - both are up to date but even with a gig of RAM on a Wintel box Firefox crashes a lot.

So my crashing peeve is with Windows Firefox specifically - the Mac version is pretty much even to Safari in speed on my setup (and equally stable) - and that means it is pretty solid.

I’ve been using Opera, it was all good except one little detail – the connection speed. On any decent connection, it would probably not be a problem, but on my rather slow connection (256kbps) it was always suffering hiccups; especially when loading pages with lots of images – that used to take several refreshes to load. I didn’t like that, so I switched to FF – no problems ever since.

Using Windows.

I like the extensions I use with Firefox too much to switch to Opera. I use FF 2 and Windows XP.

Opera rules my online world - no other browser even comes close.

It’s the most user-centric browser, giving you far more detailed control over what websites are and are not allowed to do (you can even set display and behavioral preferences on a per-site basis), and giving absolute control over the UI. With Opera you can make the browser look and behave exactly how you want - button by button, field by field, image by script.

It has more comprehensive status information, more thorough script debugging, more sophisticated management of bookmarks, better keyboard navigation, built in user scripting, built in mouse gestures, easy options for things like disabling JS and images that you can put right on the toolbar.

And it handles history navigation properly - when you click “back” in Opera’s history it doesn’t reload the previous page, it literally re-creates its previous processor snapshot, which is invaluable for form-based interfaces, not to mention speeding up average load times by optimizing caching behavior.

And those “cool new” features in Firefox, like restoring a session when restarting the browser, and drag/restore of tabs - Opera’s had them for years!

I second this. There are several things I do with FF extensions that (as far as I know) cannot be done with Opera.

brothercake, I smell commission. :stuck_out_tongue:

Because Safari is the nicest browser on OS X in my opinion.

because my browser shows me the world wide web the way the overwhelming majority of people see it, which is important to me

:slight_smile:

Honestly, the lack of plugin support and the way that plugins integrate into the browser.

To be honest, I “hear” brothercake. Other things I like about Opera are that you are shown useful information when hovering over a tab and the fact it uses a ridiculously small amount of memory - something like 10MB when Firefox is using about 100. How Opera does that and be so responsive, fast to load and on top of it all have instant back support galaxies better than Firefox’s is beyond me.

It’s just a very intuitive, well thought-out browser. Despite all that, I stand by my original post - I like my extensions too much. Firefox isn’t a bad browser at all and I’ve becomed accustomed to it. I’ve also customised it to my heart’s content and understand what’s going on in its insides it fairly well. I can customise on a site-by-site basis with userContent.css and Greasemonkey (yes, I know it’s built into Opera, like so many other things that are only available as extensions for FF). In fact, the only real gripe I have with Firefox is its enormous memory footprint (I only have 352MB of RAM according to Windows, 384 according to me) and its annoying unresponsiveness. This is especially true when, as a page is loading, I click on another tab and it doesn’t actually show me the contents until the original tab has finished loading.

vgarcia, you’re reason is a bit vague. Care to elaborate a bit on why you prefer Safari over Opera? I can think of a few (the lack of OSX like stuff in Opera is the top on my list).

r937, I believe I recall you saying you use IE? Is this true? You just did not post this, so I want to make sure.

Good stuff so far, and what I expected. Then brothercake sounds like my clone. :wink: Of course we were both mentioned in some recent sitepoint blog post as Opera lovers, lol.

I run XP and use both Opera and Firefox.

Opera is the fastest browser.
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

There are things I like and dislike about both browsers.
Since this post is about opera I will talk about Opera.

When I was first introduced to Opera it wasn’t freeware.
I bought a student license and was up and running.

From a security perspective the developers of Opera are
serious about patching any vulnerabilities with there product.

For a reference look @ this:

Vulnerability Report: Opera 9.x

Note: The green check mark means the issue has been fixed.

Vulnerability Report: Mozilla Firefox 2.0.x
http://secunia.com/product/12434/?task=advisories

Firefox makes up for this with there extensions/add-ons initiative.

Opera has many features pre-installed:
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

Opera Security Features
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/security/

Web Specifications Supported in Opera 9
http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/

From a web developer perspective I place this
browser on top of the others. When coding
and testing on other browsers something that
makes logical sense coding wise does not respond
well in other browsers. Firefox rarely has issues.
Its been awhile since working on a web project so
I can’t speak for IE7.

I don’t like the way it handles cookies.