Why do you not use Opera?

Why is that important to you?

When it comes to development and design, perhaps it makes sense to treat Firefox as the norm - for all those minor quirks and variations, let Firefox get the perfect layout, and other browsers get the small-but-insignificant deviations (although I still favour Opera there too, but that’s just me ;)).

As a development browser, I agree that Firefox has an invaluable range of features - Firebug, the DOM inspector, all kinds of extensions that are incredibly useful for development. I wouldn’t be able to do my job as effectively without a copy of Firefox to hand.

But I’m not always a developer. Sometimes I’m just a user, and that’s when I prefer Opera. Opera has no political agenda, and doesn’t rely on a legion of third-party tools to be effective. It just works, and it’s on my side :tup:

(And … btw and slightly ot … Opera Mobile is the only decent mobile browser. Pocket IE is just IE4 on a small screen, while Minimo [the mobile version of firefox] is laughably bad - worse than Pocket IE!)

actually, yes, it is, however, that’s not what this thread is about, is it – just that it’s not opera

why does that matter?

:slight_smile:

He’s asking because he’s writing an article, and would like some reasoning to back up the claims the people he is polling are making.

And yes, I’m a die-hard Opera user. Browse, develop, you name it. Now only if it could only make my meals for me…

just that it’s not opera

No, I asked in the thread starter to post what browser and OS you used if it was not Opera… It sorta makes your comments make more sense. :slight_smile:

I use Opera as my norm for programming/design. Firefox plays along fine though most of the time. :slight_smile:

What do you mean by this?

Opera’s handling of cookies

Opera Cookie Settings Table

Oh, I missed that. I use Firefox on Windows 2000. Opera is fast, but I only like to be asked once how it should handle cookies from a new domain. Opera seems to ask repeatedly for each cookie from the server upon loading the initial page. Subsequent pages and return visits are fine, but the requester that pops up requires me to fiddle with a drop-down menu every time. I’d prefer it to remember my last setting so I can just click a button.

To fix that go to:

1. Tools
  2. Preferences…
  3. Advanced
  4. Cookies
  5. Accept only cookies from the site I visit
  6. Check delete new cookies when exiting Opera
  7. Uncheck Ask me before accepting new cookies
  8. Press OK

But I want it to ask… only once, instead of multiple times.

If you know that you are visiting a site.

Wouldn’t you want to be more concerned about the
AD’s, SEO javascript, that’s attaching itself to a page?

Well, the request was for one main reason why I don’t use Opera. Cookie handling is it. When I think javascript may be a problem, Opera gives me the option I want, which is to turn it off. It doesn’t give me the cookie handling option I want. Both IE and Firefox do.

Are you doing this globally or on a per-site basis though?

On a per-site basis.

Firefox is Open Source, Opera isn’t. Thats the only reason I use Firefox over Opera. I have never used the source code but I am an avid supporter of Open Source software.

Just because it’s not open source doesn’t mean it’s not any good. I support open source software too, but if I’m given something for free (as in beer), I won’t turn it down on the basis that it’s not open-source. :slight_smile:

But that’s another discussion for another thread.

Here’s what you do:

• Visit the site in question in Opera
  • Go to Tools > Quick preferences > Edit site preferences

And there you are - a customization dialog for all the features you can modify on a per-site basis, including cookie handling.

[ot]

More to the point - commercially driven software is usually better than open-source, for obvious reasons - it takes time and effort to iron out a slick professional product, and in the OS community there’s no tangible incentive to walk that extra mile (especially if you can just wave your hand and say “oh, a plugin will fix that” ;)) [/ot]

I use Opera, and here’s why:

• It’s available for multiple platforms, so I can use it on Linux at home and on Windows at work, and it looks and works the same. I even use it on my mobile (Opera Mini).
  • It’s got tons of useful features for a web developer, especially since The Developer Console came out.
  • It’s got tons of useful features for a web user (site preferences, UserJS, spatial navigation, Notes, Widgets, custom Panels, mouse gestures, …)
  • It’s very standards compliant; if it works in Opera I’ve probably done it right.
  • It’s fast, it’s secure, it’s stable, it’s got a small memory footprint and it’s still small enough to download upgrades over dial-up.
  • It’s fully configurable.
  • I don’t have to download and maintain dozens of extension to get a working browser, and I don’t have to worry that those extensions stop working when I upgrade my browser.
  • It’s not open source. I don’t have anything against open source … on the contrary, but Opera’s developers really listen to their users. If you report a bug, they’ll fix it. Quickly.

They made it even simpler.
Just right-click on the web page and the Edit site preferences…
is right there to adjust to your preference.

I guess this thread isn’t going to plan CL :p.

@charmedlover
My thing with Apple is that they can do a really fine job when they want to and considering the amount of resources thrown into the iPhone I think at least from a consumer browsing experience perspective - it looks like it will deliver. If you are a mobile developer you better be aware of its quirks. Safari on the iPhone won’t be going away any time soon.

I actually do know how to code for mobiles (really - I care about this sort of stuff to a fault) and that is one of the reasons I always have Opera on hand, at the same time I think Apple’s approach of rendering the regular styles is a pragmatic one, albeit different from Opera’s take.

What I am getting at is that there is more than one way to skin a cat and in the end what the average consumer wants will drive the market more than what we geeks think is the most elegant/best approach (I am fan of standards, forward leaning features, progressive enhancement/graceful degradation and print, screen and handheld styles).

I think that Apple will make sure that the web browsing experience on the iPhone is close to the best on any available mobile (if not better) - or not bother - like the iPod, we can point out particular features or functionality it lacks, but on the whole it does represent the best in its class (for both hardware and software - and their seamless integration). So there is a precedent set where Apple just might raise the bar - and do it thinking differently. Sometimes less is indeed more (see Occam’s razor).

(BTW I posted this via Opera - for Mac - and am digging on Speed Dial - very, very cool indeed.)