Why does my site look different in different browsers?

Hi
My question is why is my website different in Maxthon to what I view in Internet Explorer?
The url of my site is www.fairbuying.com
I hope someone can help me.
Thank you!

I do not intend to install Maxthon on my PC. Perhaps you can post screen shots showing how your site renders differently on Maxthon and IE (which version of IE?). Please describe (list) the differences that you see because we may consider something as trivial that is important to you.

Ultimately they look different because browsers have different renderings of CSS. It’s not 1 size fits all when it comes to how browsers display CSS.

I’ve never even heard of Maxthon before; we will need screenshots and detailed explanation about the issue, as Ron said :slight_smile: .

It is a browser that is basically a wrapper around internet explorer. The browser chrome is different but the rendering engine is the same as IE.

2 Likes

browsers interpret the w3c standard differently resulting in your html looking slightly different in different browsers. For consistent look in all browsers it is recommended you design your web page testing using one browser with the most widespread use & then you create different style sheets for the other browsers.

No no no no no.

Please no.

I can 100% guarentee you (note, this is no-exception) that your website can ALWAYS be made without browser-specific stylesheets. If you find yourself needing to do browser-specific stylesheets, then you need someone to look at your code and find the bugs that you are band-aid fixing.

In an ideal world, you only need one set of CSS style sheets foryour website, its a well known fact that modern
browsers all have uneven levels of implementation of the CSS standards

its farely consistent for IE 8 and above, Firefox 25 & above, Opera 10, Safari and Chrome 3

there is still a large number of people who are using windows xp with ie6 and 7

things like hasLayout bugs in Internet Explorer, PNG transparency in IE 5 and 6

the height issue when u apply a css float

I agree

[quote=“christelnkoma, post:8, topic:111180”]
its farely consistent for IE 8 and above, Firefox 25 & above, Opera 10, Safari and Chrome 3
[/quote]Agree

[quote=“christelnkoma, post:8, topic:111180”]
there is still a large number of people who are using windows xp with ie6 and 7
[/quote]I could not disagree more. What is your basis for this? Where are you getting your numbers? It’s almost NON EXISTANT.

EIther way, I still can code for these browsers by using one stylesheet. Degradation will need to be in place but that’s just part of knowing what you are doing.

We are getting into IE5 now?

I feel like we are back to 2007. Surreal.

I would LOVE to get an idea of what kind of user percentages you believe these browsers are getting.

I still have to wonder, how many visitors use more than one browser and care, let alone notice, that it might look a bit different?

True, major differences should be addressed. But I can’t help thinking that we’re too close to close to it and it therefore seems more of a problem to us than it really is.

2 Likes

in retrospect after checking the latest browser statistics i think u have a point because w3counter says
http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
google chrome 42,5%
ie 17.6%
firefox 15.6%
safari 14.6%
opera 3.2%

plus ie6 is now below 5% according to https://www.modern.ie/en-us/ie6countdown

so in that regard a single stylesheet is fine

IE6 is probably closer to 1%. 5% is VERY generous. IE8 and 9 are like 2-4 percent each. So IE6 obviously will be less. Let’s agree on 1%? Or agree to disagree because 1% is probably fair.

IE5 probably has 100 people, or maybe 0.005 percent of the market (ballparking it.)

I’m glad you have learned something; perhaps your code can now be cleaner.

I have nothing to base this on, but my feeling is that most using antiquated IE browsers are doing so because of being locked in to intranet system requirements dependent on antiquated MS apps.

i.e. the “bottom line”, it is cheaper to stay with the old than to go through a major upgrade hassle.

If so, I also imagine many such intranets also firewall out internet access.

In any case, I think that unless you want to accommodate them you can safely disregard.

I agree.
As long as the content is readable on antiquated browsers it doesn’t matter that it doesn’t look the same.

If you insist on it looking the same then you can’t use any of the new CSS commands the older browser doesn’t support. For example you can do rounded corners with CSS but anyone still using IE8 will not see them. It doesn’t affect their ability to read and interact with the page so it doesn’t really matter that they don’t see the rounded corners.

I can’t remember if all versions of IE from 6 onwards have a “quirks mode” but according to http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fairbuying.com%2F there are some HTML errors, if the version of IE does have a “quirks mode”, one of them errors might be triggering IE to use “quirks mode”

That’s basically where the 1% is coming from in my example; although I suspect (again no proof) that even they are upgrading.

You technically can do rounded corners for <IE8 but it’s not worth the effort to use images or add nested elements to get it working. I agree that it shouldn’t be bothered with. At our work, we hvae the mindset that as long as people can read the stuff on the page, we could care less. And that’s for IE8, not for IE5/6…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.