Why have my Google Analytics dropped after moving to a new VPS server?

Hi,
I recently moved to a new VPS server for my site and have seen a vast improvement with the speed of the site. However, my Analytics have dropped to around one fifth of what they were before. The site has gone from getting around 700 visitors per day to 125. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

From looking at the Analytics the site is still getting traffic from different parts of the world as well as a variety of referrals, search hits, etc., so I can’t see that there’s one particular area that the site is suffering in. Plus, a lot of the pages are still ranked really high in Google.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Could it be a caching issue? Is there anything different I need to do after moving to a VPS server?

Best,
Russ

If your site is on a different I.P. then it takes time for the index bots to find your new site.

This is not likely caching, but it could be that you have a robots.txt file that is getting in your way, Have you verified that the robots.txt file is not filtering any search engine bots inadvertently?

Did you have your domains active on both the old shared server and new VPS? You could be getting penalized for duplicate content on two different domains.

You would’ve been well served to 301 redirect your old site to the new site, but it may be too late for this.

In time (if getting penalized for duplicate content) the bots will learn that you are no longer duplicating content and should remove the penalties.

Steve

What does your Google webmaster account say about your domain?