Wikipedia editors

Could you please suggest pro/experienced Wikipedia editor who could write about my business? I’ve tried few times, but the article has been removed.

Just to clarify, you want somebody to write an article about your business for publication on Wikipedia?

Yes. Well, of course, it would be very useful if somebody could simply suggest the principles as I was following the tone and style similar to competitors, but their pages are active… On Wikipedia they said I cannot provide reliable sources therefore info is no good enough to be there… I have a file, written in ‘wikipedian’ with all those {}…, but… So - could you please suggest somebody who could help? :slight_smile:

Wikipedia isn’t intended to be a place to promote / write about your business. Remember, it’s an encyclopedia of sorts. Companies usually only appear there if they have become a kind of newsworthy institution. Even then, it’s not they themselves who write the articles, but the community. Best to leave it that way.

In general I wanted to have something like this… I mean - my sole purpose is to help other businesses succeed. Thank god I have few good examples as a proof, but I don’t want to stop there. This article writing issue is quite selfish - the main issue is to provide a nice appearance on Google’s search right-hand side with a brief overview which source would be Wikipedia. Google support said they don’t have any info about it, but I’m curious how other companies managed to get there

Can you advise?

And that’s what worries me: you are hoping to use Wikipedia for your own purposes, which is why your entries will probably continue to get deleted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not

So… What can/ should I do?

[quote=“Codinger, post:5, topic:112469”]
In general I wanted to have something like this
[/quote]Well, that states quite plainly what it is:

And we’ve already established that you can’t use Wikipedia for promotional purposes.

My advice would be to forget Wikipedia, concentrate on improving your site and promoting it in legitimate ways, and if somebody ever creates a non-promotional page for you on Wikipedia, look upon it as an unexpected bonus.

In fact…Sounds sad. All right, in that case I’ll do my best to encourage somebody to write it for me.
Could you suggest the best practises? - Let’s say - TOP 3 of yours on how to promote business online?
The real thing w/o blah blah blah… :smile:

Beg your pardon? So the solution of not spamming yourself is to get someone else to do it for you? You don’t understand online marketing in the same way you don’t understand what your business is. Does it sound harsh? Maybe it is… but if you created a business only to get rich, then you’ll never be rich.

I’m sorry to say this, you want to help other businesses when you can’t even help yourself.

Online marketing should be part of your overall marketing strategy. The first thing is to know well what you offer and why you offer that product. As important as that, you need to understand the type of consumer that would get that product (even if that product is just information) and why they would want to get it from you.

When you understand that, then you need to know where those people go, visit, read, etc.

And then, it is when you create a marketing plan. If your market target use twitter heavely, you will tweet a few times a day, linking to articles or information related, or your blog. Always with topics that they can feel related to. Or FB. Or press releases. Or pinterest. Or whatever.

Little by little, people will start to know you and spread the word. And you will do something to get their e-mails addresses and names, something they will give you because, if you’re for real, they will TRUST you. And that means more business.

1 Like

I appreciate your insight. In fact I have a quite good strategical plan as well as operational plans which, of course, include communications strategies. The question was - can you share your TOP 3 best practises on online promotion w/o suggesting blog or SM as I am aware of those all. The real thing means your personal experience instead of theory talks around the topic. :smile:

This varies because it depends on what your potential clients do.

I would say

• Pay-per-click
  • Press releases to targeted mediums.
  • Give them something they love for free (and ask for their e-mail in return)
  • Promotions/quizzes/Interactive stuff

I gave you 4

That’s one extra… how much do I get for this? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:)) Cool, thank you. I don’t think I should promote the business here, but… I think I could be of help… Do you have a website? Can you share the link of yours? :smile:

Errrr… Yes and no.

You’re right in the sense that you shouldn’t drop the link to your website here… or anywhere.

But when a member sticks around and is active, and likes to help or shows eagerness to learn, we do, from time to time, a few things that helps a bit with your promotion efforts… like let you show off a bit and explain what you’re so great.

We do need to get to know you first though.

In my case, I never promote my site here. It is a case of you have to do what you preach :smile:

And, anyway, it is not live now… I decided to move away from WordPress and now I find that I can’t decide which blogging platform I want to use… Not very smart decision, I know. Good thing that I don’t care XD

2 Likes

I agree with you in terms of promotion. Also you mentioned that you should get to know me better before allowing to share any links to my site or so.

Taking into account the terms and policy of the forum, I’d like to make a small exception this one time and say few words. If you’ve moved away from WP and cannot decide which platform would suit your needs, may I suggest SiteSupra? The great difference between available tools and ss is that with ss you should clearly know the purpose of your site as well as know what to do with it - I mean - how to promote it as these sites are fully customisable and do not offer “few possible layout variations”.

May I kindly ask you to take a quick look and let me know your thoughts? Do you find it interesting enough to consider start working there?

This absolutely was not meant as a promotion, but more a feedback request and support (2in1)… And only because you asked how much do you get for this… :smile:

I will look at it when I have a bit of time. That should be around the weekend.

And I did say get to know you… as a forum member… not your company :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, that is correct - will follow your suggestion. And in the meantime will try to figure out how to link with Wikipedians… I mean - how to do business so they’ll write about it themselves :smile:

Can’t wait for your feedback and thank you for your time and support :smile:

You’re not getting it sigh

You don’t link to Wikipedians or do business with them… they will write about you because your project will be large enough (that means, you have an extremely large user base) that they will write about it themselves…

Don’t concentrate your efforts in Wikipedia. You’re not Apple…yet. But to get there, you need to do lots of stuff.

Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia and not a place to advertise and marketise local business. Go to Maps and Google Earth for this type of advertisement. This will help.

Regards