Will learning multiple languages like PGP, Rails, Nodejs be a problem?

Will learning multiple programming languages be a problem? Conflict? Have you learnt multiple languages? (I currently know Ruby on Rails) and want to learn Nodejs and Angular. Will learning PHP become a problem?

Not at all and learning more languages will probably make you a better programmer… as long as you are able to spend enough time with each one to the point where you feel comfortable, stop having to reference something every other line, and learn all the major caveats and nuances.

Learning more languages will make you a more rounded programmer and give you insight on how other paradigms handle common problems. It will let your mind explore other ways of solving problems and will help you think more about the problem and less about how to do it “The Ruby Way”.

Even if you stick to Ruby as your primary language, you may find something in JavaScript or C# or Scala or whatever you choose, that you want to bring back with you to Ruby land.

Sharing ideas is what leads to advances in technology.

I am a firm believer in being Language Agnostic, you just have to be careful of being a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None.

4 Likes

My advise probably won’t apply to you. I’ve tried to learn NodeJS but it was way too difficult for me. It really wasn’t because it was too hard… it was due to frustration. I’m already aware of a technology where I can code at 200mph… Trying to relearn on different language… I felt like going at a speed of a 4 yr old on a tricycle. As @mawburn said, knowing more is always good.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.