Will No Paypal Kill Business?

I am building an ecommerce site that will sell web apps and information products. Will not having Paypal as a checkout option kill my business? Even if I allow checkout with credit cards and other payment options?

My Paypal account has been locked forever due to a dispute. They want $1500 to open it, even though I got scammed. Is it worth it? I know it probably is in the long run, but I don’t know if I can overcome the principal of not giving into those Paypal Mother F*****'s! :mad:

The impact of not accepting paypal varries widely by industry… If you sell against ebay vendors you’ll see a sharp loss in sales but for most of the web paypal is the alternative option and while regular users of the system are more likely to convert given the speed it offers them, paypal is by no means as common as a straight visa / mastercard purchase.

PayPal is very popular, of course, but not using it should not kill your business. There are a lot of other paymetn options like Authorize.Net, 2Checkout etc.

It will have a small but noticeable impact on sales. Consider your payment to be an investment for the future

It actually depends, some companies experience a increase of sales by removing Paypal when doing A/B testing. However as mentioned, this strongly depends on your market and target group.

Maybe a controversial point of view but i personally do not like the facility which makes it so easy to raise a dispute in PayPal. We’ve used it in the past and if you get a less than honest buyer then they can raise a dispute very easily whereas with other payment gateways this is not so easily exploited.

We do not use PayPal anymore to cut down on the dispute side of the administration in our business and we haven’t noticed a drop in sales.

I agree with you, it’s kind of sensitive payment method where customer can simply raise an issue and you have very limited options…

the more payment option - the better. If i were you I would try to use services like ogone.com and other to maximize your profit.

If I’m on a website and see it offers me the choice of paying by PayPal then this encourages me to purchase. I certainly wouldn’t avoid a seller if he didn’t have the ability to pay by PayPal though. Have you thought about using an alternative service like Google Checkout? I haven’t got any experience with it at all!