Will This Configuration Be Enough to Run Ubuntu and Netbeans (web dev IDE)?

I will start with a little background info. I am a web developer and I have an up-to-date laptop, so I am not looking for a high-tech desktop PC as well. I am looking to get myself something that I can use for work only, leaving the laptop for entertainment and on-the-road stuff.

That’s why I decided to get a (cheap) desktop PC for . I found a pretty good offer for an affordable one with the following configuration and since I am not very knowledged when it comes to hardware, I’d like to consult with you guys. I will only install Ubuntu (or another linux distribution) and use Netbeans (a web development IDE). Some SVN and web surfing activities as well will be done, but no heavy multimedia stuff like watching movies or playing games or Photoshop (thees will be done on the laptop).

The configuration itself:
Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz (256KB L2 Cache)
RAM: 1024MB 266MHz DDR SDRAM
HD: 20GB 5400 rpm SMART III Ultra ATA/100
CD Rom drive
Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 845G
Connection: Integrated Intel PRO/100 VM
Other: Integrated Intel Audio, 2+2xUSB 2.0
Box/case type: SFF

I know this is pretty old, but it’s dead cheap and I think it will do the job for my needs. What do you think? Will this configuration suffice or should I spend a few bucks more for a better PC?

It should be fine but you may want to look at a little more RAM if you can stretch your budget slightly.

One consideration is that for webdev if you’re doing any HTML/CSS and not just serverside scripting, you’ll almost certainly want to run a Virtual Machine with a Windows OS so you can test in Internet Explorer. I’m fairly sure a machine with that spec will struggle to run a virtual machine.