Will voice replace typing?

Gesundheit.

We have a couple people around the office that have issues with their Siri understanding them (and they don’t have nearly as strong of an accent).

Quite interactive though. It keeps saying, “I don’t understand” and then finally in frustration it says “okay!” Very funny!

If one no longer needs to type maybe we will soon see the end of this:

four is not a replacement for, for. [/pet-peeve]

Will typing with ones voice take over? Possible if the technology advances further. But I believe it will be more or less for quick control.

Typing for code often helps developers conceptualize what is next needed or how to render an object or function and how objects and functions correlate. If one, was to attempt to code through voice it would be a different type of conceptualization using different parts of our brains, so the results would not be like what it is to type. Is this good or bad? Some things seems to be better suited to typing and some to voice, so I don’t think voice will replace typing.

Have you ever tried to write down the sentences/paragraphs you most recently spoke or used with a voice technologies? In most cases fragments, disjointed or tangential text is what you get, hardly the more honed type of writing that most of us are taught to do.

That would be awesome… Soon that will be happened… I’m hoping for that one also…

yes i will definitely agree with you and as well as with your question. In future there will be the market of voice not for typing but it is also the fact that through typing you will get more traffic than the voice. So, it is advisable to stick with typing.

What?! That makes absolutely no sense…Sounds like this one is just a fluff poster.

Where are your facts to back up your claim that it is a “fact that through typing you will get more traffic”?

That’s a cool idea. Btw, have you tried searching in Google with your voice? There is this microphone button right next to the search area. It’s fun :slight_smile:

My opinion is we will start using our feet, voice & hands more effectively as we become more efficient. To be honest I am surprised it’s taking so long to get there. I believe the voice will become more for opening things, searching and finding things as our attention is elsewhere completing other tasks.

I thought this rant was interesting and insightful: http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTheFutureOfInteractionDesign/
While he’s talking about touch here, it means the same for voice. We use our voices a certain way (usually) for interaction and communication. If voice recognition gets better, then interaction designers will be worrying about how well their voice interface works with human brains and voices.

That is interesting. I haven’t gotten all the way through it just yet, but I will after I post this.

I was discussing with my co-workers the other day hour our designs have to change. Now we are getting used to interacting with devices without any haptic or tactile feedback (aside from the occassional vibration). Yet we are still quite capable doing many tasks without looking at it (I can generally unlock my phone, put in the passcode and then change the song playing without looking at it, just because of the position of my hand relative to the device). How is that going to change user interaction and design going forward.

Compounding that with changes in voice technologies, it’s going to be interesting to see where things move to.

Yet we are still quite capable doing many tasks without looking at it (I can generally unlock my phone, put in the passcode and then change the song playing without looking at it, just because of the position of my hand relative to the device). How is that going to change user interaction and design going forward.

I oughta see if I can find a video of a blind person using a touchscreen phone with VoiceOver. When VO is on, the gestures work differently, but you can “hover” over things (single tap to hear the item) and swipe and all that.

Sucks that the rant I posted above has images that are conveying a message, yet have no alt attributes at all. Arg. Like the piano image: you can clearly see, he’s just been talking about weight and resistance and texture and how things feel, and then he shows someone playing a touch-screen piano (as someone who learned piano growing up, I know exactly what that image is conveying).

For texting, quick blog commenting, social networking voice to text conversion is ok. I think we are a few years away from a solution that will allow you to produce clear, correct and concise letters, web pages etc.

@KatieT ; I’ve met someone on a web development forum who had little use of her hands, and was writing code using some Swedish version of Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Hope it happens soon. But still there is a problem in the accent of speaking. every nation speaks a same language in different accents. We should consider that in mind.

and just how will that affect the result?

last time i looked, you could not discern an accent in written text

i’m wondering if you have actually read the thread and understood its premise…

I think what he means is everyone’s accent makes the software need to be different (like how Siri hates Scots =p). It’ll take quite a while to finally have voice software that can truly understand everyone.

ah yes, of course

sorry, petefred

that would be fredpete. :smiley: