Windows Exchange Server Setup Help

Hi Guys,

At the moment I have windows exchange all setup and on my laptop i have my mail account all setup. Now the problem i have is for the exchange address i have it as the following:

“server.MyCompanysName.local”

Now the problem is because its getting all the mail from the network if i take my laptop off the network and go to meetings im not able to get the emails because of this. How do i go about making it so i can connect outside the network, can i not just enter the IP address? If so i have done this but it doesnt connect, i think this is because it goes through a NetGear router so i think i need to open the port up, what ports do i need to open and also is there anything else that i need to do?

The server is running Windows Server 2003.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Exchange needs to be run on a server, locally hosting your mail doesn’t really work as external services expect to be able to connect to it.

Hi,

It hosted on a server but the server is located in our office, its running Windows Server 2003. Its connected to the internet so what I’m trying to do is to login to my mailbox outside the network. So wont i just be able to type the address of our dedicated IP in as the server address and open the ports and direct it to the servers network address?

Would that work or would i need to do something else?

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Thanks

Is the server accessible to the outside world? It looks like you need to do port forwarding on your router with the correct ports.

Best practice for remote access really depends on exchange version, your best bet would probably be to setup a VPN and use that as a remote access bridge.