Windows Phone 7

It’s pretty strange because I haven’t seen a thread on it, however it made a huge buzz on the Net, just read TechCrunch, Gizmodo and LifeHacker.

There’s a series of article on this phone http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-our-take/

What do you think?

I’ve never had a smartphone, but I’m thinking about getting one to get myself into the world of mobile development.

However, the release date, as well as the price are still unknown.

I like it, but I’d rather have an Android phone. Programming for Microsoft environments is always so complex. You need 4GB of tools (Visual Studio, the latest .NET, etc) just to get started. Any other platform you can use your favorite 100KB text editor.

Dan,

Visual Studio is certainly heavier than emacs, but it’s definitely not a 4GB tool, I remember running VS2008 on a 1GB laptop.

Besides, if you want to develop mobile apps professionally, you should less care tools, but care more about a number of users of a specific mobile platform. I believe, there are many iPhone applications not because it’s easy to write for iPhone, but because of a large number of iPhone handsets.

And finally, nobody forbids to write .NET apps in Notepad and compile them in the command line.

I was referring to file size not memory usage. The compressed installer image I have is 3.5GB. Visual Studio is a beast.

Do you really care about its size? You won’t supply it with your applications, will you?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of big bloated applications, but VS is okay.