Wireless there, can't get an IP

hey looks like we all come to sitepoint for the same reason. oh you forgot quick response time! :slight_smile: anyway i really appreciate the comment, and let us know how ya troubleshooting comes along!

unfortunately my troubleshoot insnt going great.

i cant find much help for this issue with windows2000

if it goes on ill just return this crappy usb network adapter for the pci version.

is that what OS(Win2k) you have? I had the linksys USB adapter and had nothing but troubles w/ it on my current desktop, but it worked on my laptop and HTPC fine, so i switched to the Netgear MA311 PCI adapter and it works smooth now

Hi all,
Iā€™m having this same problem now. Hereā€™s the situation:

2 new desktops running WinXP Home with SP2 installed from the factory.
1 wireless laptop running WinXP Home with SP2 that I installed.
DSL modem running into a Netgear wireless router.

I can get an IP address on the wireless card, but none of the ethernet NICs will obtain an IP. It looks to me like either the client systems arenā€™t requesting an IP address from the DHCP server, or the software firewall on each system is blocking that request.

Hereā€™s a list of what Iā€™ve tried, in order:

1. Disabling the Windows firewall.
  2. Applied the quick fix thatā€™s in KB884020.
  3. Applied the reg hack thatā€™s explained here.
  4. Running the ā€œnetsh winsock resetā€ command at the DOS prompt.

So far nothing has worked. Any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated. Iā€™m coming up against a deadline on this (good thing I started early).

Also, I donā€™t think this is related, but Iā€™ll add it just in case. Even when I get an IP on the wireless system, I canā€™t access the web. My thought is that this is a separate problem with the router, but Iā€™m not 100% sure about that.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Lenwood,
Iā€™ve posted an update to the ā€˜SP2 Limited or no connectivity?ā€™ threadā€¦ dunno if itā€™s of any help to youā€¦ hope you get it sorted out.

Hi!

I tried most of your suggestions, NO LUCK.

But I have a solution for the issue.

1. Remove Service Pack 2
  2. Restart
  3. Download IT SP2 and install

Problem solved for me.
:slight_smile: :cool: :agree: :good:

OK I just got a new laptop about over a week ago it already had the SP2 on it. I tried the Winsockxp fix program and no difference.
My Problem:
Laptop wont connect to internet wirelesly. HOWEVER if i connect
into the wireless router DIRECTLY it works fine(this is how i am
posting). I have the aparently ā€œinfamousā€ limited or no
connectivity despite an ā€œexcellentā€ signal.

My Setup:
2 Laptops (mine is one) ā€œconnectedā€ to the wireless connection
(the other works fine). We have a Microsoft wireless router
(MN-700). as i said the Winsock did nothing and i already had the
SP2.

thanx for whatever help i may get.
sincerely,
Bob

Bob,

If you do a search of the helpdesk forum for ā€œlimited or no connectivityā€ you will find a number of different threads about this. I would start there and attempt more of the different resolutions put forward.

Good luck

I was just about to go out of my mind trying to troubleshoot the same problem with a wireless connection when I found your post. I tried WinSockXP and the machine came up and connected in a split second.

This was a critical one for me because the computer is in a home office in an outbuilding with no wireline connection to my household LAN, so I had to get the wireless going.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find the solution and sharing the knowledge.

streetleveltech

i read alot of threads where people say that they cannot connect most people do not say whether they have a pppoe connection or a dhcp connection. A pppoe connection in the past has been a standard but now more people are getting dhcp. A pppoe connection is a broadband connection requiring a user name and password. A dhcp connection is automatic connection pretty much plug and play. I troubleshoot network connections and the first thing i find out is what type of connection does the person have. Usually the modem will say adsl or dhcp. Most of them that say adsl are pppoe. people get mad if i ask them to disconnect their router but if you cannot connect you need to find out if their problem is the modem ,the router, or the network. If a person has a pppoe connection and is using windows xp a create a pppoe connection on their desktop and if they are able to surf with that connection then the problem is with the router. If the person has multiple pcs and they can surf on the other machines the problem is with the pc that cannot surf. Many people have winsock issues. I would ask your isp what id address do people normally pull on their network. I do not know about every network but 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is pretty common. One thread said that they had 169.xxx.xxx.xxx a 169 ip address usually shows a network problem it is known as the microsoft autoconfiguration ip address

Similar problem, different circumstances. A download on a home laptop over a wireless home network corrupted the TVP/IP settings. I was getting the same message. I then wired directly into the router, same message.

I tried the system restore (using XP) with success.

I have a similar problem. Heres the situation. 1 Desktop, 2 Laptops. 1 of the laptops is brand new. The desktop connects to the Dlink wireless router through a wire without problems. The old laptop connects to the Dlink wireless router through wireless without problems. The new laptop can connect to the wireless router and obtain an ip address, but canā€™t get on the internet. It can ping the other computers on the network. Connecting the new laptop with a wire gives the same result. Taking the new laptop somewhere else and connecting to a different wireless network works with no problems. Connecting the new laptop directly into the ADSL modem works with no problems as well. So, the question is, how come the new laptop can get an ip address from the wireless router, but canā€™t get on the internet? But the internet settings work fine as it is able to connect through a different network.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Youā€™re an idiot.

you said you manually configured your IP addressā€¦
mine are showing up 0.0.0.0

I donā€™t think my problem has anything to do with service pack 2. I installed Microsoft AntiSypware(beta), on my laptop and ever since the internet hasnt been working. when i click repair a box shows up that says ā€œWindows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP addressā€ I tried reinstalling the drivers already and that didnt work. I actually installed service pack 2 to see if that would fix it but it didnt. I also installed winstockxpā€¦didnt work. i renewed my IPs in the cmd prompt alsoā€¦nothingā€¦i dont know what else to do. i uninstalled all my antispyware software cause i thought it might of been firewalled or somethingā€¦but that didnt work. i still have spydoctor though

if you need anymore infoā€¦iā€™ll be checkin this every 5 min

I really hope that i am not posting yet another of the same thing, but I have read through all your posts and tried all the suggestions to no avail. I live in a serious mac household, and when we (the family) decided to get a wireless connection, every computer in the house other then my PC desktop could easily connectā€¦ I got a wireless card (linksys Wireless G PCI adapter WMp54G) and I have been able to connect but there is no internet. First I got the cannot renew IP adress, then after reading this forum I dled WinsockXP (here is yet another question, I could not get a wire connection to my desktop so i dled the Winsock to my Mac laptop, burned it to a disk, and sent it to my desktopā€¦ not sure if that might have screwed it up) and after running the fix program instead of getting ā€œcannot renew IP addressā€ I am getting ā€œThe following action cannot be completed : Connecting to the Wireless Networkā€ā€¦ pleaseā€¦ someone help me!!! :cry:

I have the same problem. I recently upgraded ZoneAlarm and the problem started after that. I get the message and click on the balloon which allows me to repair the connection which then fixes the problem until it happens again, minutes or hours later.

Seems the 'puter is not automatically refreshing this information.

Have tried WinsockXPFix but it does no more than the Balloon refresh.