Wordpres Blog - Split the output on the date

I’m in the process of styling the date on my wordpress blog so that it looks like the attached image. This is what it looks like so far.

I’ve been told that I need to find the function below and get it to split the output first, one for the day of the month, one for the month formatted as three letters and then output the day and the month separately in the div. The problem is, I have no idea what needs to be changed/added to the PHP to achieve this.

Here’s the PHP:

<div class="post-date">
                        <?php if ( $elems['date'] ) { btp_entry_render_date(); } ?>
                                </div>

Here’s the CSS:

.post-date {
    background-image:url("/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/post-data-bg.png") !important;
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
}

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

What you really need to do is look at the function

btp_entry_render_date

Im guessing this is what will format the output from a Database entry to the existing format.

Thanks for your reply! I don’t quite understand what you mean. Do I need to change the following line of code and, if so, what do I need to change?

<?php if ( $elems[‘date’] ) { btp_entry_render_date(); } ?>

Sorry if I’m not making sense, this is not my strong area! Thanks

Can’t you use the normal WP date and time tags? I don’t know which theme you’re using, but you should be able to format the date with the standard WordPress functions.

If you create more than one post per day and want to display the dates of all, then I’d use the_time();, otherwise I’d use the_date.

With these functions, you can split up the day, month, and year separately.

Great, thanks for the help guys, I tried your suggestion kohoutek and it worked nicely. Cheers!