Wordpress and other CMS

For many years I used Dreamweaver for my sites. I found this to be the best HTML editor, although it was expensive.

Then I saw a video from Matt Cutts who runs large parts of Google, who even suggested that the use WordPress because it solves a lot of problems. So now I’ve started moving all my sites to WordPress and and have been very happy with it.

I see many experienced members here are still talking about the traditional HTML editors. My question is why don’t you use WordPress? Is there something I’m missing, because it seems to be exactly what I’m looking for.

The only downside I can see is it would be a bit more difficult than normal site to move between servers, although that doesn’t happen very often

Hi mazz. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

My question is why don’t you use WordPress? Is there something I’m missing, because it seems to be exactly what I’m looking for.

Lots of people use WordPress (or other CMSes) and still use Dreamweaver. WP is just a collection of code, like any other site, and you normally want to edit that code (whether in a simple or highly sophisticated way). So most people will still use a code editor (like Dw or otherwise) to edit the CMS code and then upload it to the server.

Thanks.

I notice you are in Melbourne too. I am in the eastern suburbs. Where are you located?

Do you own this forum or are just a contributor?

Northeast, near Eltham.

Do you own this forum or are just a contributor?

Nah, we’re all volunteers around here (except the forum Administrator). SitePoint is based in Melbourne, but is a very popular site worldwide.

Small world. In all the forums I come across I always seem to find someone close to me. aww

Yes, Really Wordpress is best and user friendly CMS in the web world, Even we have several websites in wordpress and those going great both user and search engine ways… so here I also suggest for the same.

WordPress websites are good as new pages can be added easily and have lot of plugins to do any functions which may be thought of in future

If dreamviewer is used as a editing software than downloading of page uploading etc takes too much time

Also if new page needs to be added the new tab has to be added in all the pages. But in wordpress if the menu is made dynamic than its very easy to add new tabs and new pages.

I have seen wordpress website good in search engines because my client always keep in updated as oppose to some other html websites i have designed in past.

Though security is very important in wordpress because recently 2 websites were hacked which were in wordpress. need to update everytime plugins themes and wordpress versions

Word Press CMS is Big Problem have you any solution about that ?

That depends on what you call problem. You’ll need to be more specific.

I haven’t seen that video so I don’t know what he said but… I can’t understand where the idea comes from.

WordPress and DreamWeaver are completely different softwares and with different goals. The first is a Content Management System and the second is an editor… they can’t be compared at all. Although WP does allow you to edit a file in situ, its editing capabilities are few and it lacks of the most basic (yet useful) feature: syntax highlighting!

That’s a must for me… so why would I want to use WP as an editor?

Edit: @mazz ; I feel that I’m the one who’s missing something here :wink: