Wordpress Help Really Required / plug in removal issue

Hiya all…I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place,I couldn’t work out where to put it-Mr or Mrs admin,please move it if necessary!!

Hello all…I have a really niggly problem on my Wordpress site that I am damned if I can fix.I’ve tried posting in WP forums but got no answer,or none of the answers I did get worked.
Here goes-

I built my WP site (theme of Shiword),it’s based on 5 or six pages and one blog page in which the posts go.
I really didn’t like the titles appearing on the pages,so I used a plugin called Hide Title.Unfortunately this removed the titles on the blog too,and it looks wrong and messy.

I uninstalled the plug-in,with the hope that then the titles would be there again,but they are not.Could the plug-in have actually deleted the title code?I’ve tried activating a different theme,deleting Shiword and re-installing it,but I still have the same problem.

If anyone can give me the code to put this back in or has any suggestions as to how I can remedy this,I’d be more than grateful.

It can be seen at www.mr-woggle.co.uk

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place.

Andy

Welcome to Sitepoint, Andy.

I am retitling AND moving your post , as it really has little to do with CSS and more with WP functionality (worse, WP plug-ins)

CSS is about styling the HTML ( so that would me more of a WP skin, or maybe a style sheet of a theme) , themes/ and plug ins do content control by actually outputting the HTML. :slight_smile:

I really avoid tend to avoid plugins ( because I can code my own), so I cant say I am familiar with he one you mentioned. But from a coders perspective, I would guess that the pluggin hid your titles in one of 3 ways:

1. attaching an action_filter to content; but if that the case even simply deactivating the plug in would have nullified any of its effects
  2. it could have created a separate DB table and stored your headlines there ( which would mean the headlines would be missing you go to edit them too) ; This is stupid, but then again that’s why I hate 3rd party plug ins. In which case hastily removing the plug in may have now left your posts headlineless
  3. it could have ‘marked off’ the headlines in the native WP DBs, so when you go to edit the posts you might still see the headline but the headline would act as if it was unpublished.

these is just speculating.

BTW, HOW did you remove the plug-in? Did you deactivate it properly from the dashboard, or did you just remove the files?

Thanks for a really quick reply,and really sorry for posting in the wrong place…

I’m totally noob when it comes to Wordpress,only the second time I’ve worked with it,so do bear with me…

I de-activated the plugin from within WP,that made no difference so I deleted it,again from within the WP Plugin page.Still no change.

Any bright ideas how I can turn it back on?I only need it on ONE page…This is really frustrating me :frowning:

Thanks again

Andy

Well from what I understand you do not want the titles like Repair / Design , Audio Geek displayed but would like titles displayed on the blog posts.

Now if that is what you want you can go to the theme folder > in that open > page.php

Find this

<?php shiword_post_title( array( ‘featured’ => 1 ) ); ?>

if you hide this line titles wont show up on the pages

to temporarily hide it change the above code to

<?php //shiword_post_title( array( ‘featured’ => 1 ) ); ?>

Hopefully, from what I have understood, this issue should be solved.

You are a legend.It’s finally gone!!
Thank you so much!!