Wordpress probelm

Recently I had to move one of my blogs to another hosting account. I moved all files and then did upload a mysql backup. Blog was working but if you click on a post or category you get a 404 error.

I haven’t changed anything.

Permalink Settings is /%post_id%/%category%/%postname%.php

Also it has a .htaccess file.

whats the reason for this ? here’s the link,

http://www.hardcoverbooks.info

Basically Only the home page is opening. All other internal links are not working returning a 404 error.

It most likely has something to do with the .htaccess file. What do the contents of your .htaccess look like?

Here’s what .htaccess has,

BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

END WordPress

Another thing, When I change Permalink Settings back to default it everything work. This happen with custom permalink.

/%post_id%/%category%/%postname%.html

Are you sure the new host has mod_rewrite enabled?

What I don’t know. New Hosting Account is a small VPS and Only blog I have there since the day I ve bought it use default Permalink Settings. So this might be the problem.

Thanks BPartch. I ll check this get back.

Well Thats where the problem is. New VPS doesn’t have mod_rewrite enable which is normal.

But It makes more problems because I’m new VPS stuff and I have no idea How to get it corrected. Can this be done in Hyper VM or Kloxo ?

Cool glad you figured out what the issue was.

I’m no expert on VPS so I recommend posting over in the Apache Configuration forum: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=199 DK should be able to steer you in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Thank you BPartch for all the help. :slight_smile: Finally I got it fixed with help from another Ben at WHT ! :smiley: Good lesson for me buying a unmanged VPS without knowing what to do.

Ben Thomas from btcentral.org.uk helped me to get it fix. I have to thank him for saving me from this nightmare.

Excellent!!! Ben’s RAWK! :stuck_out_tongue: :shifty: