Wordpress Q's; Upgrading between certain Versions & Responsive Themes/tools

Hey everyone - new to the forum; I have a couple Wordpress Questions hopefully someone could help out with.

1.) What is the easiest way/best practice to upgrade from Wordpress 2.7 to 2.8. I ask because where I work, the latest I can use is 2.8.5 and I’m currently at 2.7.1. (Yes, I wish I could upgrade to the latest - but unfortunately, I can’t.)

I know I could always delete the whole previous install, and reinstall at Wordpress 2.8 or 2.8.5 - but, I don’t want to loose any content that I already have up (I have a good amount of posts/pages).

What should I do? :x:eek:

Ultimately, the whole reason I’m upgrading at all; is to use Free ‘Responsive’ wordpress themes/frameworks - the few I found that area allegedly compatible with 2.8 - bringing me to my next question;

2.) Anyone know of any good resources for responsive wordpress themes/frameworks or tools that are compatible 2.7 - 2.8.5? Great resources I wish I could use are; ‘Skeleton Theme/Framework’ ‘Whiteboard framework’ and ‘Yoko theme’ - is there anything similar I could use for my annoying situation?

3.) Worst case scenario; I’ll probably use the standard ‘twenty ten’ ‘boring-non-time saving’ theme (Not with the responsive child, that’s compatible 2.8 + ) … and try to manually optimize it as ‘Responsive’. Is this something that’s fairly easy to do? Is this going to be a crazy task?

Please let me know any suggestions anyone has - cheers!

Why are you not allowed to upgrade to a secure version of WordPress? Is it that they want to make it easier for the site to be trashed by visitors?

Thanks for the response felgal -
I wish I had an answer for that, but don’t, ultimately just sucks for me.

I’ve found a solution to my goals. I’ve upgraded WP to my limit of 2.8.5 successfully, content in tact - and found a theme/framework (Twenty Ten + Twenty Ten Responsive Child theme) I can use and is compatible with 2.8 + (Allegedly) - and I’ve downloaded and uploaded the ‘Twenty Ten Responsive Child theme/plugin’ to allow the theme to become responsive.

Just when I thought I was in the clear; I finished uploading the theme and plugin/child theme -

Then, I get this in the preview:

'Fatal error: Call to undefined function home_url() in /data/24/1/0/139/1815302/user/1967139/htdocs/wp-content/themes/twentyten 3/header.php on line 63"

Any suggestions on that one? …anyone?

The twentyten theme wasn’t introduced until Wordpress 3.0. I wouldn’t expect it to work on anything older than that.

Really? I feel like I’ve seen it around for years. -ugh

Thanks for the response - in any case; do you have any suggestions as to what I could use as a framework/theme for a responsive WP theme in WP 2.8?

www.google.com/search?q=responsive+wordpress+theme

There seems to be plenty of themes listed, but you’re probably going to have a hard time finding something for an obsolete version of wordpress.