WordPress Twenty10 based site, help with Search results & Sidebar issue

Greetings

I got a problem with a WordPress Twenty 10 based site I am working on. I searched everywhere but surprisingly could not find a single post with this issue.
Hopefully one of you WP masters can help me pinpoint the problem.

here is the link to the site I am working on and a description of the problem below that.

http://www.bristowsequence.com/wp/index.php

To see the problem type some gibberish into the search, for example type QCDSFQGT, you will see the search results return “Nothing Found” and you will see the issue.
See how the right sidebar breaks the design, overlaps the footer and looks horrible! I got the sidebar set to position relative for placement and I got a feeling this is a
part of the issue but not all of it.

Anyway I need the sidebar to, not break the search results and look good and both need to dynamically grow with all pages etc…

I’ve been trying to pinpoint the issue with firebug but not getting the intended results via tweaking the associated CSS???

Closest thing I came up with in the CSS was adding some padding to the following

.entry-summary
padding-bottom:300px;

This made things look better, the sidebar started behaving, stopped overlapping the footer, but pushed the comments to each blog post way too
far down beneath each post and the blog post were spaced out way too far in general. This attempt to fix was so close to fixing the issue but
no cigar :frowning: as I felt the blog post were spaced out too far and users might not scroll down that far and bye bye etc…

Can anyone one tell me what where in the style sheet I should be looking at?
Or do I have to move the sidebar php hook or div inside of another div somewhere or something else?

This may have been the original way the Twnety10 theme ran in the 1st place but my modding could of messed things up. Only thing I could think of that I did that is
relevant to this issue it at one point the sidebar was being pushed down, so I had to alter some code somewhere to stop it from being pushed down
(I got a bookmark somewhere).

I’m stumped on this one, can someone take a look at the site and give me some hints.

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Seti

thanks

here is a link to a example pic of the problem

http://bristowsequence.com/images/example.jpg

site is backup

Hi,

The problem is that you have absolutely placed the sidebar.

#primary, #secondary {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    border: 1px solid #000000;
    margin-left: 695px;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 6px;
  [B]  position: absolute;[/B]
    top: 199px;
    width: 152px;
}

Absolute elements are removed from the flow and do not interact with any other content so the rest of the page knows nothing about the absolute element and will take no notice of it. You can’t use absolute elements in that manner where you need it to control the flow. You will have to change the structure so that the sidebar element is floated and be the first element inside Content.

Then you will also need to float .post because all the headings have been cleared so you need to contain it within another float to avoid clearing the side column.

#content {margin: 0 113px 0 113px}
.post{float:left;width:570px;}
#container{overflow:hidden;}

<div id="content" role="main">
 <div id="primary" class="widget-area" role="complementary"> etc....</div>
  <div id="post-0" class="post no-results not-found"> etc....

Something roughly like that.:slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the reply Paul

can you clarify for me

“You will have to change the structure, so that the sidebar element is floated and be the first element inside Content

is that one the sidebar.php or this is all CSS?

I might need an example of the sidebar.php code if that is the page I’m supposed to change the structure of, here is the code for that page

<?php
/**
 * The Sidebar containing the primary and secondary widget areas.
 * @package WordPress
 * @subpackage Twenty_Ten
 * @since Twenty Ten 1.0
 */
?>

<div id="primary" class="widget-area" role="complementary">
			<ul class="xoxo">

<?php
	/* When we call the dynamic_sidebar() function, it'll spit out
	 * the widgets for that widget area. If it instead returns false,
	 * then the sidebar simply doesn't exist, so we'll hard-code in
	 * some default sidebar stuff just in case.
	 */
	if ( ! dynamic_sidebar( 'primary-widget-area' ) ) : ?>

<li id="archives" class="widget-container">
				<h3 class="widget-title"><?php _e( 'Archives', 'twentyten' ); ?></h3>
				<ul>
					<?php wp_get_archives( 'type=monthly' ); ?>
				</ul>
			</li>

<li id="meta" class="widget-container">
				<h3 class="widget-title"><?php _e( 'Meta', 'twentyten' ); ?></h3>
				<ul>
					<?php wp_register(); ?>
					<li><?php wp_loginout(); ?></li>
					<?php wp_meta(); ?>
				</ul>
			</li>

<?php endif; // end primary widget area ?>
			</ul>
		</div><!-- #primary .widget-area -->

<?php
	// A second sidebar for widgets, just because.
	if ( is_active_sidebar( 'secondary-widget-area' ) ) : ?>

<div id="secondary" class="widget-area" role="complementary">
			<ul class="xoxo">
				<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'secondary-widget-area' ); ?>
			</ul>
		</div><!-- #secondary .widget-area -->

<?php endif; ?>

No you have to change the order of the html which means adjusting your php so that the order is as shown in my html in the previous post. Someone else can answer how you change php/wordpress etc but it needs to be in the structure that I have given above or you won’t be able to control the flow of the page properly.

thanks much for the feedback, it seems the answers is within your post, I just got to understand it :slight_smile:

can anyone shed some light on changing the order of the html php/wordpress ???

where should I be looking?

It seem the sidebar.php is the only place I could find that had the divs Paul mentioned. I’ll be messing around in there heheheheh

tried to read up on changing html php/wordpress structure but no luck

I’ve been playing around in sidebar.php but got a feeling I should be in index.php or somewhere else???

Paul could I trouble you to point me in a research direction or squeeze another tip out of you :slight_smile:

I admit I haven’t used WP for a while, but this post I made a few years ago explaining the basics of messing with a WP theme may be of some help:

http://pageaffairs.com/web/cms/adapting-a-wordpress-theme/

resolved

Paul thanks so much with some of those keywords I was able to hunt down the ideas on how to fix it.

thanks much!