Work Experience for Sr. Developers

I’ve been doing Java Web stuff for past 15 years and now I’m trying to do something different called “Cloud Development”. Must say looking for a job for this has been quite interesting… To prepare for this, I’ve self-studied to earn certification on cloud development, have a sand-box environment to do hands on training, and read quite a few books. Went to few interviews and I passed the technical interview w/o any problems at all. However… they all gave offer lower then what was advertised due to “lack of work experience”. They say if I had at a minimum of 6 months of experience then they have no problem honoring the deal… They can’t control the rate due to position being sub-contractor… their customers strictly said “work experience”. By all means, I am using “Java” for cloud development but someone 15+ years of doing Java doing Web domain suddenly becomes Jr. Java Cloud developer doesn’t make any sense… Sorry guys~ I’m just venting out my steam a bit! I love learning new stuff at job but I’m not going to accept 30% paycut to do that.

Would you accept the offer if they agreed to increase your salary and position after you have been with them for the six months?

They actually given me that choice… but at 1 year.

It doesn’t make sense to me either. You’ve clearly got Java skills. More importantly, you’ve got programming and software development skills. How much extra value does “cloud development” add? For that matter, what exactly is “cloud development”? Surely, the “cloud” is basicallly a storage mechanism. It’s like looking for a programming job that requires “hard disk development”.

I can’t suggest a solution - other than that you keep looking for a job, and focus on those that simply require Java skills.

Mike

Yeah, it’s really bizarre. I’ve had similar questions on “cloud development” as well. There are very different types of cloud development. Some are distributed storage based, some are distributed processing based. I am focused on distributed processing on a big data. For example, being able to process 10 gigabyte to create a metrics report under 10 min or being able to ingest 1 gig log file per min and create an e-mail trigger if particular event happens. Apparently, there are gazzilion ways of doing this

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/davefeinleib/files/2012/07/Big-Data-Landscape-Jul-4-2012.00111.png

Yeah…that’s alot of stuff… which is why cloud developer gets $$$$$