Worst Practice: Too much AJAX?

Perhaps so. I assume “slow inaccessible” is the usage of JavaScript right? So, if you had to create exact same features then how else would you do it?

I wouldn’t – at least not as a website; that’s a cute toy/demo, but it’s not something I’d ever do with HTML/CSS/Scripting in the first place! You want an OS or WM, write a bloody OS or WM using a real programming language!

Perfect example of what I mean by “scripted nonsense that has no business on websites in the first place” – though with things like Metro in the pipe that line is getting blurred; having used metro, if this is the future, I want nothing to do with it! I’m not rocking a i7 870 with Win7 to have it dragged down less useful than my am586/150 running windows 3.1 thanks to endless layers of idiotic abstractions of running scripting in a browser atop an OS! At that point it’s one step removed from emulating a gameboy on an Amiga emulated in OS X using sheepsaver emulated in PearPC inside VirtualBox atop QEMU.

Fun as an experiment, but not anything actually useful.

Says the guy making a new interpreted langauge… right. Pot, Kettle…

I thought the sencha stuff was cool at first to. However, I have ran into so many problems with it that after 3 months of using it for projects in the pipeline cut my loses, admitted fault and moved on. Cool, yes practical not really. Just to many load issues, crashes, and small bugs that no one on the sencha team cares to fix. If I’m going to deal with that I rather be responsible for my own failure than another persons. This is especially true in the mobile environment but pages need to reload. I have tried so many different things from writing my own small library, sencha touch 2, jQuery Mobile they all seem to have inherit flaws not by fault of their own perhaps but crappy hardware which is something we do have to deal with. I haven’t used the sencha stuff for desktop but have played with demos and see much of the same thing after a while of prolonged use without physical reloading the page – sh*t just crashes and breaks.

Maintaining history is probably one of the most difficult things to achieve with JavaScript intensive UIs. It isn’t even possible without the history API except for creating a virtual back button application side. There also can be ambiguity between what constitutes pushing new state and what does not.

I guess you’re entitled to your opinion but it’s only making it look like OS because everyone is familiar with Windows OS UI. This reduces the learning curve to understand the UI. This was the main benefit of making that layout. Also, this can be run on top of ANY OS. Also! You don’t even need i7 870 to run this… in fact all the back-end could be backed by n-servers that runs in a parrallel. I can do all this while using my ancient 5 yr old machine. Toward the end, we all want to create an application that best fits the customer need. To other readers… this is NOT a toy framework. Take a look at their client list

It’s his words against a REAL world company who ACTUALLY use it in daily basis…

Hm… I’ve used it in my previous project and I absolutely loved it. I do admit…they lack documentation support… if it wasn’t for ExtJs in Action book, I’ll completely be lost. I’ve posted many and they responded correspondingly. Heck… you can search for my user name there…I’ve posted hundres and I always got the response ^_^… of course, I got the paid support membership. I don’t know about non-paid support though.

[ot]

everyone is Windows users are familiar with Windows OS UI. This absolutely MUST be kept in mind. Also, which Windows OS UI? They kept bashing it with a baseball bat every release.

Very off-topic but I think interesting: I’ve been reading Tog’s stuff for a while now and he explains on many levels what went “wrong” (inefficient) with Microsoft and Sun UIs (partially because of Apple being copywrite/patent pigs, take that as you wish). He mentions some things specifically here.

Regarding #5: Now I personally like my menus on my windows, either because I grew up that way (familiarity) or because when I have multiple windows open, they each should clearly have their menus with them. But as Ubuntu embraces Unity, it’s bringing more and more Appley stuff to the interface. Shared menus (so that the menus are at the top or on an edge) are one. The horrid, horrid horrid mistake that is the App Bar/Task Bar appearing from a hidden location on the edge is also one (many of us have been conditioned to click on the usually-empty left side of Youtube videos to gain our focus back from the Flash… but in Unity this brings the unwanted applications bar. Also when trying to hit the Back button. Or reach the application’s File menu. Arg arg arg. Horrid. So now we spend wasted time figuring out how to move it to a more sensible location like the bottom).

Anyway I guess I’ll say putting the mistakes of an OS UI on the web is a bad thing and putting the things they got right of an OS UI on the web is only a good thing if the reasons for those things are the same between Desktop and Web. Sg707 is right that familiarity is good in that the learning curve for new people is lower. But the way to go there is take what works and makes sense on the web and cloak it in familiar things where appropriate, so people can recognise what new things are (skeuomorphic design).

About 10 years ago: remember when DHTML came out and people used Javascript for dropdown menus? What were those dropdown menus emulating? Heirarchical application dropdown menus. Except, on desktops, the menus usually stayed on-screen after a click, which was necessary because 1. it frees the pointer and if there are submenus 2. humans consistently suck at moving perfect horizonal lines. So DHTML imitated that: submenus often appeared onclick. Fine mouse control wasn’t necessary.

When CSS (with :hover) started taking over the job of DHTML, though, a problem came: many sites had been training users to click to open menus. With CSS menus, because the top-level itself should be clickable to somewhere (in case the dropdown cannot be opened for one reason or another), clicking on the top-level item brought unexpected results to experienced users. Meanwhile slow new people got a chance to see the dropdown appear on :hover because they hadn’t had time to click on it yet.

Also finer mouse control became a must, and nested submenus became increasingly difficult to use. Go three levels down but then oops you went a pixel too far off the sub sub sub menu and now it’s all gone and you have to start all over again. WUT!

Hovering to show submenus started becoming the norm for the web (but still isn’t for any of my applications on Desktop though. For good reason: hovering isn’t considered enough of an intent, while clicking is. So hovering without intent should not bring unexpected or unwanted actions). So we have familiarity, and then we have training. We train users, and we ourselves get trained by applications we use.

And now we have touch interfaces actually in the hands of the regular public rather than limited to strange museum kiosks and ticket machines and whatnot. And touch has different ideas of intent, and does not have :hover (and has a different idea of :focus). We haven’t been touching our Desktops (Metro I hear wants to change this, and Dell and some others have been offering combo touch/mouse/keyboard machines now), nor have we been using pens on them, but we might in the near future or already are on our tablets. This means our interfaces can’t simply copy over from mouse-and-keyboard OS UIs. It’s not that simple, even if it’s familiar to people. I would rather trade in some familiarity for some works-better-with-this-setup. If something is intuitive or easily discoverable then it doesn’t have to be so familiar.

An interesting thing mentioned in a lot of usability texts: people figure out a way to use something. It may be arduous and take many steps. It turns out, users tend to find the first way that works, and they stick to it even if it’s longer and harder than another way. Users do not generally explore new ways of doing something once they’ve found one way to do it. So I’d say when building an interface, make the first way they are likely to find how to do something the easiest.

We’re nerds, right? How many of us have watched someone using a mouse to fill in a web form? Zomg it’s painful.[/ot]