Writing about another Article?

If I come across an article I really like, how do I go about writing a blog post about it? I mean, all the info is going to be in the original article. So how do you take that info and write about it without plagiarizing? This is what professional journalists have to do regulary, right? It’s not possible for every journalist to be the exact source of information. Any good articles you guys know of on this topic? It would be much appreciated.

In article writing, number 1 rule is do not copy. If you want something, statement, motto in a certain blog /site and wants is to be added on your article, you must quote it or give credit to the source.

Firstly, you need to ask yourself if you’re actually adding anything to the subject discussed in the other article. Try starting with an acknowledgement of the other post, with a link even, and then discuss why you found it so interesting or what it’s made you think about. Expand on some points or disagree with a few and say why. The crux of the matter is, you need to add value to the subject, or at least give an alternative angle.

If you can’t do this, consider seriously whether you should tackle the subject at all. If after that, you still just want to cover the same points, then the only thing you can do is to read the blog post you’ve found and go and look for other posts or articles by different authors on the same subject. Look for at least 5 or 6 others. Each of these will come from a slightly different angle and have slightly different content.
Close all of the articles and go do something else for an hour or two. When you come back, write your own blog post or article on the subject WITHOUT looking at the other articles again. For most people, osmosis will take effect and your article will come out as a mixture of all the articles and it’s likely that the reading itself will prompt you to have some original thought of your own somewhere in your own article.

Thanks, ralph. I’m just worried about copying too much info. If you don’t mind, I’d like to send you the blog post in question when I write it. I’ll give you a link to original article so you can compare the two. If you are up to it, that is. I still gotta get that picture for you, too! I can’t believe I haven’t done that yet. I can’t quite kill the procrastination disease. Made a lot of progress, but it still lingers!

It’s like writing any kind of review… of a book, a movie etc. You give your impression of the article, saying whether you agree with it etc, and maybe provide some quotes. As I understand it, it’s considered allowable to quote up to 10% of the article, as long as it’s clear you are quoting… but 10% may be just the figure allowed here in Australia, or only in certain contexts.

You can do that by reorganize the content , and rewrite the article . it requires a little google search to add more update information