Writing in English or American

That’s probably because a lot of people, even people in the UK, grow up not knowing the difference between US and UK spellings. This is why so many words are written with the letter z instead of s in the UK; people just don’t realize there’s a difference (see what I did there?). As has already been said, write for your audience - but don’t mix and match, as that just looks like you don’t know how to spell.

It always annoys me when, in films, they mix up Greek and Roman gods. Don’t mix up UK and US spellings in the same way!

that’s easy to say, but what if one doesn’t actually know which way to do it? if you use spell check, then as the kids say, you’re gonna have a bad time…

lol… being Greek I can tell you it won’t annoy me. Those Greek Gods were part of a dead religion. :slight_smile: Sometime after The Byzantine Empire came to be giving our modern day religion.

The US happens to have more influence than the UK making it’s spelling and words forced on us. Being from the UK I always used to say pants (trousers), ain’t (is not), man (dude, person) etc. The US slang has now become the norm. The TV is the biggest form of influence in the world, we all seam to believe this box. My grandmother call’s it the ‘devil’s box’. Guess she had a point.

/it’s/its/

/seam/seem/

/call’s/calls/

just tryna help :wink:

@r937; lol! :slight_smile: just when you think dyslexia is over it comes back again! :stuck_out_tongue:

dyslexics of the world untie!!

This is the problem, sadly. Too many people grow up not really knowing how to spell. As one of those people who constantly complains about exams getting easier, I can say with some assurance that they, in fact, are. I have seen applications by potential editors who can’t spell, and even applications from teachers (English teachers no less) who can’t spell. What chance the kids?

It’s rife in the real world too, as nobody seems to know or care. I even saw a beer fridge in a shop in February that sported a sign saying “cold beer’s” - just what was the apostrophe for? It wasn’t hand written, it was embossed in white plastic on a drinks fridge. No wonder we can’t spell as a society.

I realize I’m late to this discussion, but as an American in Calgary, I’ll just point out that it doesn’t bother me to encounter British versions of words (storey, centre, and so forth). It didn’t bother me when I read books or papers by British authors before I moved to Canada, either, so if you are more comfortable with that, I don’t think it’s something that is a deal-breaker for American audiences.

A blog embraces all types of English. It’s your personal space, your playground and you can post anything in it.

Here’s my personal take on your concern: Use the language that you’re comfortable with. Simply use your English if it sounds natural. Your audience will understand whether the one reading your post is an American. Some readers can feel if a blogger is trying to pretend that he’s someone he’s not. I have also read a number of blogs written by British writers and I have enjoyed reading it. It’s a good feeling to read a blog with a slight different tone and spelling. The search engines, on the other hand, got no problem with it. As I see it, you’ll be good as long as the post is written in high quality. On the other hand, it might be better if you’ll consider having two English blogs that targets two different audiences. This technique is pretty a waste of time and it’s inevitable to have duplicate posts. However, the final decision is all up to you.

do you proofread your content yourself?? does it mean that you know uk/us english rules well? i personally think that there is not much difference and people would not even notice the type of english you use. it definitely needs to be written by a native-speaker and proofread. that’s it.