Xml

What is XML? How and where is it used in the websites?
I came across this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090901235156AAZWUuN
This pretty much explains it but i am still confused. ‘That it is sister language to HTML. This is where you can define your own tags, and it is used to move data from one place to other’.
Could you show me some working examples in websites how it is implemented? What is the alternate language to XML? Does it work with javascript?
Thanks!

XML is not a languages for web sites, it is not for you if you have to ask what it is. Either way, its not for building web sites and it is not a sister language to HTML.

Did i say i was a noob :slight_smile: I am a student/learner, aspiring web-designer, here to ask questions and learn from people with experience.
Where is it used? Can it generate its own tags and attributes, or these are specified by the user? I saw it being referred with jquery, and javascript in some articles, so i was wondering if it was used for websites.

XML is known as Extensible Markup Language. It is a language that is both human-readable and machine-readable. This is a language which is a set of rules that is defined for encoding documents. This is defined in the XML 1.0 Spesification which was produced by the W3Cand many other spesifications related to it.

XML (Extensible Markup Language).It doesn’t permit the omission of any tags or the use of attribute minimization. However, it provides a shorthand notation for empty elements. A conforming XML document must be well formed, which, among other things, means that there must be an end tag for every start tag, and that nested tags must be closed in the right order.

@JChris @ahiliya @logic_earth thank you for your answers. What i have come to understand is that: HTML is how data is presented, while XML is describing what the data is. I find html to be easy to grasp as in what it does, since it is more defined in its purpose. But XML to me sounds a bit slippery, or may be it is too simple to understand. XML sounds more like structured documentation for storing data for machines!

If you are wanting to learn, use a search engine, all the information about XML is readily available. Being able to answer questions on your own is the only way to be successful in life.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable…The design goals of XML emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability over the Internet. It is a textual data format…the design of XML focuses on documents, it is widely used for the representation of arbitrary data structures, for example in web services.

XML stands for EXtensible Markup Language.Its a markup language much like HTML.XML was designed to carry data, not to display data.XML tags are not predefined. You must define your own tags.XML is designed to be self-descriptive.XML is a W3C Recommendation.