You May Or May Not Edit Your Posts

This is excruciating.

Near the bottom of a thread it says. “You may edit your posts”.
There is, however, absolutely no visible function for doing so.

Could someone pretty please tell me what I’m missing?

Thanks

There is a cut off time of 30mins after which time you will not be able to edit a post

I believe there is a time limit as people alter or remove the post which can makes nonsense of the thread or spammers come back later and change a normal post into a spam post.

To add to what the others have said, if you want to edit a post (for a good reason) after the time limit has expired, hit the little red flag beneath the post and submit your request to a moderator.

Well, silly me !

I thought that if the page said “You may edit your post”, it meant that I may edit my post!

What was I thinking?

Those are your permissions and yes, it is true, you can edit your post within 30 min. after publishing. I’m sure that if you refreshed the page after 30 min. you wouldn’t see the link underneath the post that read “edit post”. If you do (after this 30 min. time frame) then we will have to look into it because it is not supposed to work that way.

As annoying as this can be, it is a security feature and definately an anti-spam need. Many spammers post something apparently innoncent to edit their posts later on and add links and advertisments knowing that the post has already gone through.

Although the 30 min. limit is mentioned in the FAQs/Rules of the forum (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/faq.php?faq=etiquette#faq_editingposts), it is obvious that we need to think of something that reminds users that their editing capabilities are just for limited time as the rules are often forgotten and some people don’t even read them.

You can still contact a staff member and ask them to edit whatever text you want to change after that period.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience that it caused to you, though.

Thank you for your kind reply!

I did not see the link to edit the post, hence my original question: Where is it?

It did say, however, that I may edit my posts in that little bank of things that people can or cannot do. That’s what misled me.

P

I’m afraid that it is a bit confusing and that’s why I will bring it to the attention of the rest of the staff as well as @HAWK;

Annoyingly this is one of those cases where vB gives us the ability to change functionality (like how long we give you to edit posts) but doesn’t update it’s default messages when we make those changes. I’ll take a look and see if there is anything that I can do about it without hacking, but knowing vB, I doubt it! Sorry for the confusion.

That’s why I make sure that what I post is what I really intend to say. Don’t get too hasty to press the “post” button. I believe you have time for that. I think it’s the forum’s tactic to curb out spammers. Back links are not bad if done with good intentions.

Well, I am burdened by a dull mind. It’s something that I have to live with all the time.

Bless you all.

P

I am able to edit my post and there is no problem in the editing.

Read the comments above before you post. Thank you. Thread closed