Your best tricks for staying productive when working remotely

Hey guys and gals, wondering what you do to stay productive if/when working remotely.

I know a lot of people who say to me that they couldn’t do what I do (web design remotely)
because they just wouldn’t do anything - no discipline.

Wondering what you do that keeps you productive?

I’ll share one of my surprised-me moves - and that’s to get a lot of time away
from work doing fun stuff and/or getting lots of rest … I come back refreshed
and excited to tackle projects.

You?

Kenn

Set a schedule and take regularly scheduled breaks (step away from all electronics).

I think this thread is similar to what you want

Have a look

Take little breaks, maybe every hour like a 10 minute one, and always put a goal at the end of a day?

The most important thing is liking what you do, if that is the case, you will not find it difficult to work from any location.

I think about all the times I stood out in the freezing cold waiting for the bus. I think about the time when the wind whipped up and it started pouring rain one morning on my way to the bus stop, leaving me soaking wet from head to toe. When I got to the office, I went into the restroom stall and took off all my clothes to wring the water out of my underwear. I think about the time my connecting bus never arrived during a blizzard, how I waited outside in the snow and cold, blowing wind for 45 minutes until I walked to a pay phone to call work and say I wouldn’t make it in that day. I think about the cost of commuting to and from an office I didn’t want to go to. I think about the colds and other illnesses I used to get often from others, how sickness would work its way from one person to another through the office, about people sneezing and coughing on the bus.

At home you have a clean, private bathroom. You have a kitchen with food in it. You have a warm bed if you want to lay down or if you are not feeling well. Instead of spending one or two hours a day commuting, you can spend that extra time as you please. The inconvenience, cost, and hassle of working away from home should be enough motivation for anybody working at home. That’s why it saddens me to see companies ending work from home privileges for employees.

On the other hand, you lack human interaction working from home. When I worked in an office, people would say “hi” to me all day long. Some mornings, I could have 5 or 10 people say “hi” to me from the time I entered the lobby until I got to my desk. Each time someone said “hi” to me, I had to look up from the floor to answer back, pulling me out of my little daydream world I existed in. I tired of people saying “hi” to me. But working from home, you start to miss the days when you would be engaged in conversation by someone at the copy machine or in the break room. Or going out after work for drinks.

It is -12 Fahrenheit (-24 Celsius) and windy where I am now. Public schools are cancelling classes today to keep the kids at home where it is warm. On a day like today, there is no way I would want to work away from home.

I usually divide my work time by blocks of 25 minutes, and take 5 min breaks in between. It works form me , i set up a timer that sends an alarm every 25 minutes and then I take a break for 5 minutes and then resume again. This way I am able to divide my work in chunks, such that it doesn’t appear to overwhelming for me. :slight_smile:

I think you should take a break of 10 to 15 minutes after each hour of work! That’ll relax you & freshen up your mind, So you can work easily :slight_smile:

I put my headphones on and turn my tv off.

I also put my phone on silent so that I’m not getting the distractions of phone calls or text messages.

Having a checklist on my whiteboard and scheduling meals and pauses do the trick for me.

Successful person is always live in discipline…So always grow with it.

@ThreeHundred - good one … I like walking out to the sun, stretching and breathing - believe it or not, I find for some reason that my breathing is slowed, tight when I’m laptopping.

@Molona - thanks for that link, great stuff there.

It seems good breaks are popular, and I totally agree.

Also, not being in a computer in the evening, helps me sleep better - else, I kind of get an “electrified” sleep that isn’t so restful.

Having Good time management saves extra time and can do more work in limited time.

I think if you have a kitchen with food in it. You have a warm bed if you want to lay down or if you are not feeling well. Instead of spending one or two hours a day commuting, you can spend that extra time as you please.

For some people, this tip is surprising but for us who have been working from home for quite some time now, it actually makes perfect sense. Most of the time, you get distracted with a lot of things because of course you are working in front of the computer at home. :wink: However, if you don’t deprive yourself from doing those things, you might actually turn a disadvantage into an advantage. Whenever I find myself unproductive, I take a day off or take a nap or go out. It makes me feel so guilty for spending that much time being unproductive that I tend to make it up with work and it actually improves my productivity.
However, I also have to admit that I use the help of a software that monitors my time and productivity. So, whenever I get back to work, aside from having the mind set of focusing on work, also motivates me to finish all the tasks that are lined up.

When I take breaks, I love stretching and putting my face in the sun.

I tried a white board … didn’t stick for whatever reason. I like less “stuff”.

I love it when I’m completely energized at my desk … two things that help this happen are:

1. Great night’s rest (deep, long sleep … gluck figuring out how to get it to work) … the kind that you wake up from, fresh, with energy - not dragging.
  2. Something fun on the calendar to look forward to