Your preferred editor / site builder

I am not sure if discussion is taking two way road. Some talk about code editors while other mention Content Management Systems. In my case:

Editor:
http://www.sublimetext.com/3

CMS:
-link deleted-

@webinsane I hope that you don’t mind if I deleted your link. True, there was one mention to a CMS but this topic is really about editors so I’d rather keep it on topic and not drift too much.

I confess that Notepad++ or Vim are good enough for me, most of the times. Even for SQL although I use whatever it’s available and what’s most important for me is the syntax highlighting.

I like Notepad++ because I can use ZendCoding plugin. I like VIM because it is the only editor I know that can work with big text files, up to 2 GB

Every editor has its ups and downs.

1 Like

Not sure if this is it, but Zen Coding (emmet) for Sublime:

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Emmet

Sublime a lot like Notepad++, but worlds better.

1 Like

I tried sublime but I was not impressed. It looks nicer than Notepad++ but I had the same functionaliy that I had with Notepad++ … although all my keyboard shortcuts would be different. I didn’t see the point of changing my text editor.

Maybe I should give it another try but Sublime is supposed to be paid for continual use and Notepad++ is free

Having only been used to Dreamweaver, I’ve done some research over the weekend which has helped me get to grips with some of the correct terminology.

The editor I’m going to give a go is Adobe Brackets and I’ve downloaded the Bootstrap framework.

Check out the animations on the Sublime Homepage. I use several of those shortcuts frequently. Specifically Ctrl/Cmd+D and Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down.

Plus, it has a plugin for just about everything.

Sublime is only free for Private use though. Atom is free and basically a Sublime Clone written entirely in JS and I think it’s funded by Github. Atom isn’t as good as Sublime, but I think it will give Sublime a run for it’s money as it matures.

I did download Sublime and gave it a try but I was getting a pop up about registration.

@philb - yeah, it pops up periodically. I bought it for home use a long time ago, and I keep forgetting to tell my boss to give me a card to buy the dang thing for work, heh. You can use it (with the annoying popup) for free in perpetuity, although you’re honor system bound to buy it at some point.

Sublime is only free for Private use though. Atom is free and basically a Sublime Clone written entirely in JS and I think it’s funded by Github. Atom isn’t as good as Sublime, but I think it will give Sublime a run for it’s money as it matures.

I tried Atom and found it to be buggy and not as good - but I definitely agree with you that it’ll build into a pretty fierce competitor, with Github behind it. If they don’t stop pushing it, that is.

Licenses are per user. You can use your personal at work but not your work for personal.

###Using a Personal License at Work
As licenses are per-user, you’re welcome to use your license key on all computers where you are the primary user, including at work.

http://www.sublimetext.com/sales_faq

1 Like

I use vim.
I find other editors extremely frustrating.

1 Like

It’s early days for me, as I’m just learning, but right now, I’m using Notepad++. For what I’m doing it works well enough as a straight install with no additional plugins (anyone care to recommend some worth having?). I’ve got DW CS5 too that came with a larger package, but I tend to find I’d rather understand what’s going on in the code.

Thanks @mawburn I had no idea. Simplifies the process a bit not having to corral them to pay for it. At least gets rid of that popup haha.

1 Like

I actually just saw that yesterday. :slight_smile: Looking for the “free for personal use” thing that they used to have. Which wasn’t there… I’m not sure if they changed, or I just can’t find it. I could have sworn I read it before.

I’ve actually never bought Sublime, even tho I’ve been using it off and on since 2 was still fairly new. But that thing I quoted you may be my kicker for me, then see if I can get reimbursed or something. :smiley:

Maybe this way I can even talk my team to switch from UltraEdit to Sublime. UltraEdit is horrible and one of those programs that try to take over your entire system, so I don’t even install it and just use Notepad++ for my text editor needs. Not only does it lack a ton of modern features, but it’s boot time is about the same as Eclipse… for a text editor. But, they’ve been using it for like 15yrs. (oh and that price is yearly)

I was trying to set some config options whilst installing PHPMyAdmin on Linux the other day. I landed in Vim and was so lost I had to use Google to find out how to exit it. Lol. I’m sure it gets easier with practice.

1 Like

yeah, super steep learning curve, but after it become muscle memory and habit so you don’t even think about it. Which is why others are frustrating hahaha. I think of save as jj:w<enter> or in fact don’t even think about it and let my hands naturally do it every time I pause for a second. Or running my tests directly from my editor with jj\t. Compiling things jj\c want to change everything between some " just do jjci". Optimise svg with points like 92.984685336 so they are 92.98 jj:%s/\v(\.\d{2})(\d*)/\1/g

Yeah not gonna lie, took a long time to learn but it’s so unbelievably powerful and eventually you just think what you want done, your hands move, and stuff changes on the screen.

1 Like

I’m afraid I have a long way in front of me before mastering VIM. I only use it because it is the only text editor able to handle huge files. And even if I don’t use it regularly, you can feel that it is a really powerful tool. Maybe not as nice looking as Sublime though. But then, Notepad++ default theme doesn’t look that nice and I’m still very happy with it :smiley:

Sublime Text 3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dreamweaver is good for certain things, but for raw coding, you could try Notepad++, its a great little app (free) that handles all types of code.

Netbeans IDE is perfect match for PHP based project. You can easily configure XDebug for debugging application in Netbeans IDE and also you can configure Netbeans Connector from chrome webstore to debug Javascript from Netbeans

I prefer and love subline text 3.
Its so versatile. Because its open sourced there is a plugin for most things.

Linters allows sublime to work like a normal IDE allowing code completion and intelisense.

Browser refresh allows you to do equiverlent of F5. Save and run in last browser tab.

It has a plugin less to css. The best plugin to start less coding. Save a less style and on save automatically compiles to css.

If that is not enough you can write your own code snippets. Then set ur own call. E. G i use echo <pre, > var_dump() </pre, > in sublime i type pre then hit tab and code is witten and cursour is in place to type i the lucky variable.

There is a plugin that allows you to change css in browser debug tool and saves the changes to your real stylesheet so you dont have to do it 2x.

And if all else fails. Write ur own plugin and share.

Its light even with all the extra plugin functionality.