Your preferred editor / site builder

You can’t go wrong with SublimeText, since it’s very flexible. I’m not saying that it’s better than VIM or something, but with your background, it 'd be a solid choice.

Sublime or atom would be a good choice, either would be a step in a good direction.
Atom is way less buggy than it was before, has incredible built in git support, has the backing of github, and keeps getting better and better.

Posts like this in the sublime forums dont really give me much hope though http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16517

Serif Web Plus is obviously the best, although you pay, it is the quickest and easiest way to build a professional and fully responsive website.

I didn’t know this. But at this point in the game, I don’t really think there is or should be much to put in. It’s all up to the plugin developers now. SublimeText 2 was a little rough around the edges in certain areas and all the ones that I saw in 2 were fixed in 3. I’m sure there is some more development that needs to go in to it, but really, how much does there need to be?

I mean, look at VIM. How much has it changed over the years? It’s all about the plugins, right?

Welcome to the forums, @HML2015.

I don’t think you’ll find many people here to agree with your opinion. Most members are looking to code from scratch, rather than use WYSIWYG site builders.

I’ve been a happy user of Bluefish on Ubuntu for some years now.

LOL… completely true!!! The project funding could be in millions yet we’re using computers from 2001 to do the work. I actually got free license to use IntelliJ… I really try to like it but having to relearn the functionality of Eclipse was freaking pain… so I reverted back to Eclipse. Perhaps it’s my age where I can’t adapt to new editor.

1 Like

I did hear this new editor from GitHub called Atom.io. I believe it’s free
(for now) but seems like Sublime w/ pre-built plugins.

Sublime 3 development has slowed down, but it has not stopped.
For example, the latest dev build added a tooltip API, which is good news for for package developers and users alike.

I use Geany or if I have to work in Windows, Notepad++. Geany has done everything I needed it to do.

Obviously in the minority but i like Dreamweaver. I never use the design view except if i want to quickly find something on the page and then switch back to code. Can’t do that on plain text editors.

I’ve got used to the colours that the code is in so i can easily distinguish yellow comment text from red php code etc. Occassionally useful when it highlights mistakes rather than having to try and find the missing bracket manually.

I don’t use Dreamweaver to create code.

Having an FTP facility built in is also great. I don’t want to have to save a text file and have to switch to filezilla or whatever and upload.

I have both CS5.5 and a really old version DW MX but as i don’t mind using either as i don’t use the ‘features’ just the editor part.

To me the answer to the question is whatever you code best in is the best editor, which one that is is the next question.

Netbeans (Dark Nimbus) ftw :slight_smile: Couldn’t bring myself to switch to PhpStorm.
It’s free does everything that PhpStorm can and I can have multiple projects open in a single window.

You can use Dreamweaver to build PHP page, i use Dreamweaver to create my site from scratch. It is powerful in my opinion, thanks.

I’ve worked with Netbeans and have first hand experience with degrading performance as the number of projects increases.

SublimeText 3 is the only editor I need. I’ve used Eclipse, Zend Studio (5.5 branch up to about 9) and tried PHPStorm… Sublime is just better for my workflow, being able to very quickly switch files by typing in part of the filename alone is an incredible

Sublime’s project management is the best I’ve seen too, it’s incredibly simple yet makes switching projects incredibly fast. With Eclipse/Zend Studio this is tedious at best. Either you need all the projects in the same workspace or a workspace for each project. If like me you need to switch projects often and quickly, sublime’s workflow is just better. As you switch between projects it keeps the state of the opened files which is fantastic.

You really should consider switching to a VCS such as git. FTP is incredibly old fashioned in 2015. With Git2.3 you even get push-to-deploy which makes the whole process incredibly simple.

Been a long time user of Notepad++with various plug-ins but started using Sublime Text and it’s search is awesome.

How is that any different from PHPStorm. You’re right switching between projects and managing multiples in Zend and Eclipse can be problematic when it comes to IDE performance. However, with PHPStorm degarding IDE performance with increasing projects hasn’t been an issue for me.

I have used a lot of different programs…I still do…Sublime Text, Notepad++…but my current favorite is Brackets.

At first I started using Adobe Dreamweaver, but then my free trial ran out so I had to find an alternative. So I downloaded Notepad++ since it was recommended and I used it for a while. Installed Linux and found out that gedit does just as good and is a lot faster. Used it for a while and saw a theme template on the internet for Sublime text 2. So I gave it a shot and I’m starting to like it more then the 3 softwares I have used in the past.

1 Like

Note: if you are a student or working on an open source project JetBrains will give you a free licence for non-commercial projects.

1 Like

I am using Sublime Text 3 at home and Atom at my current contracting work.