YouTube API, Version 3 on Rails

This is a great tutorial. Thanks very much for providing it. Do you know if the Youtube API quotas apply here? If quotas apply (I would think they would for some actions), do you know if the quota is applied per the site that is calling the api or per the user that is causing the api to be called–obviously, if the quotas apply per user, that would enable a lot more activity than if they apply every time the site calls the api. It is a little confusing how using the gem maps to the different types of APIs Youtube describes, which have their own quota limits.

I assume the quotas apply, but am not sure how. It looks like there are separate quotas for anyone using Youtube Data API and Youtube Analytics API (not sure about Youtube Player API, which might be most on point). There might not be a quota for simply embedding a video, but I am pretty sure there is a quota for uploading a video from a site to youtube. Seems like this could be called “insert”: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/getting-started#quota. If so, by the quota rules (getting pretty specific here), that costs about 1600 units, and you are alotted 50,000,000 units a day. That would translate to about 30,000 videos allowed to be uploaded per day. That is obviously a lot and not a concern for building something just for learning, but if your site starts getting a lot of traction, it could be a little bit of a concern if users could at most do 30,000 a day (3 mil a month).

Any way that quota might be taken per user? (so your site could upload any amount, but each user would be limited to 30,000 a day–obviously way more than enough)

And, as said, do you think the quotas apply for both just embedding an already existing quota and uploading a new video, or just uploading a new video?

There are a few unanswered Stack Overflow questions on this, so I think it is a point of confusion.

Thanks again!