Are you interested in writing a SitePoint book?

OK. you won me over, this is awesome. I too am now emerging from the silent lurk to make my first post. :smiley:

I would like to write on one or more of the following. I’ll try for all (again on the concept of, more chances to have one of mine picked for inclusion). :slight_smile:
+++++++++++
Category: SEO, website development, Flash
Working Title: Optimizing Flash for Search Engines

Article Description: The article will cover the techniques for (as the title describes) optimizing flash content on a site to take advantage of Google’s changes in how it indexes Flash.
+++++++++++++++

Categories: Online Marketing, HTML
Working Title: Playing with Explosives: Coding Email HTML Mailings that Don’t Explode in the InBox.
Article Description: Tips and techniques on design, code, and content, with code samples. I’ll also talk about email development in a team environment.
++++++++++++++
Categories: Web Coding, Markup Languages, Stylesheet Languages, Debugging, Web Standards
Working Title: Bug Slaying, Code Hygiene, the Hack Attack, and You: Tips, Tools and Techniques for Getting Your HTML and CSS To Behave and Still Look Nice.
Article Description: What to do when no matter what you try, your page still looks awful in Browser X? The article will take a look at a selection of debugging tools, resources, and techniques for getting the front end webpage code to work, and be maintainable.
+++++++++++++++
Categories: Stylesheet Languages, Web Standards
Working Title: Maintainable CSS
Article Description: Your style-sheet starts out all shiny and understandable, and before you know it, it’s become a mind bogglingly treacherous wilderness of un-navigable, and barely intelligible CSS. Change one thing, and the entire site disintegrates before your eyes. What are some approaches to structuring your CSS and style-sheet(s) to make them (and your site) more easily maintainable and update-able, without making you want to rip your hair out?

+++++++++++++++++++++

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :slight_smile:

My B.A. is in English Education. I would like to edit your book or parts of it as it is made, if that’s ok with you guys in exchange for a copy of the finished product. I have knowledge of CSS but I’m not an expert like some of you others are. Looks like most subjects are pretty covered.

Proposed Title: Creating and deploying an ASP.NET Web Application
Brief description: This tutorial will take you through building a fully functional ASP.NET application from scratch, using ASP.NET 4, C#, jQuery, LINQ and more. At the end I’ll show you how easy it is to deploy your new web application to a shared host.

In addition to the three article ideas I’ve already posted previously I’d like to submit another idea for an entry for submission. Also, thanks for the help and confirmation on how we should submit them Alex and HAWK. :slight_smile:

Web Coding: Web Standards / Markup Languages / Stylesheet Languages / Client-Side
Proposed Title: A New Website Project Template

Brief Description: After you’ve been designing and developing Websites for a while you’ll soon come to the conclusion that you have habits and conventions. You might have a definitive convention of marking up your headers, navigation menu, content area, and footer, but you don’t want to type that out everytime when creating a new Website. In this section we’ll look at creating a new Website project template. This will cover a template Web page, a CSS base template, a JS base template, and a base folder structure. Once you have this setup you can simply copy and paste the whole folder, rename it, and begin editing and adding content. Job done!

Andrew Cooper

Marc, just tell us what kind of article on the subject you’d like to write about, all we need is a general idea of the content (to avoid clashes). :slight_smile:

I think I’d like to try and write something about one of the following topics:

• Usability
  • UI Design (Webapps)

What do I need to do by July 9th in order to sign up?

if not enough overtyped already, the way we write code is one of the biggest issues around nowadays. i would like to tackle the subject of yet another way to structure css rules in a stylesheet.

from my point of view, i will be offering yet another alternative, still with new things and a new wizard. my title would be CSS Wizard Bixbill Bisco. if the subject appeals, please say so so i start a draft.

Great ideas thus far everyone…

If you haven’t already signed yourself up and feel you have some writing in you, add yourself and your subject / content brief to the list! :slight_smile:

My idea, upon reflection: Web Standards and Your Online Business: How they can and WILL Help You Reach Your Business Goals. You might ask why? Well, I still see TONS of sites that aren’t standards compliant and break in FireFox. And as an online marketer myself, I’ve even cleaned a few up as a project for others. The Intern marketing industry especially needs to know why and how standards are vital to their online future.

Okay, here’s my rough idea in the more proper format.

Title: Reviving obselete code

Brief: The internet is full tutorials and lessons on JavaScript that uses old and obselete code. This article will cover the tips and techniques to transcribe that code for use in our modern environment.

Design Sociology

If this is what I think it is, I could say something about how I determine what’s the most important things to have “in the users face” for want of a better term.

Call it the “Science of the Bleedin’ Obvious”- though it’s not always obvious from some sites I’ve fought my way through!:goof:

Count me in for marketing. Online mostly.

Hmm, since nobody else has yet attempted to tackle: “The Iceberg of TCP/IP”

Blurb: I’d like to try to briefly explain the background protocols I mentioned before and how they relate or loosely tie-in to web design. Aiming for the more “curious people” who haven’t really thought about what goes on behind the scenes but use the technology seamlessly. The tough part (for myself) will be getting it in an ‘article format’ but hopefully it should give it an interesting slant or provide additional supplementary material.

So that’s basically what I have in mind rather than looking too directly at the specific Web Servers themselves and how they handle scripts, via these methods, etc.

I cannot promise anything other than to give it my best shot the rest is in the laps of the gods as to whether it makes the grade.

Please note that in order to sign up you need to give us a rough title for your piece and a brief explanation.

“Sign me up” isn’t going to cut it. :wink:

Great!

I’d be quite interested in writing something under your suggested “Vector Languages” category, particularly focusing on Canvas and SVG.

I’m also a keen proof-reader so would be happy to assist in that capacity too.

Writing books and drafts - this is very fun.

Getting literary criticism to try to improve your work is very useful.

If possible I want to write about different way of integrating the flash in web application since I have seen many people are confused about that.

Darn it! I can do this! Count me in! :wink: