Are you interested in writing a SitePoint book?

Depending on if I get time/around to writing for SP, it will be on these :smiley:

I’d like to contribute a piece on how to apply OO-CSS during your XHTML prototyping.

I’d like to contribute something on how to program efficient Actionscript and getting the most power out of it that you can.

About how long are you looking for the articles to be?

@Alex, more confusion than sarcasm I think.
@Sarah, rather than having the intention of wrecking anything, I was pointing out that giving away “author” badges to anyone capable of writing an article is (obligatory imho) detrimental to the SP Forums.
@me, note that you have superpowers to wreck things via internet - use only for good :slight_smile:

SEO / SEM (Searches)
SMM / Social Networks
eCommerce (Buy/Sell)

these three points are what I am good at. I’d like to writething for them.

Either a .doc or a .docx is fine. Attach the images - I don’t think the format matters but we can always get back to you if there is an issue.

Sweet - don’t take part then if it’s not your thing. But don’t wreck it for the rest of us.

I’d like to write something on accessibility from a colour blind persons point of view, because I am!

Sign me up, please! :smiley:

Wow! What a fantastic opportunity! Alex - You bloody genius! :wink: I shouldn’t, but I’ll assume we can submit a couple of different entries and hope that we get at least one of them included in the book :p?

Also, in what document format should we send the material in to the E-Mail address? Is Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) ok? If we’re submitting image screenshots and so on with our article / tutorial / written piece then should we attach the images in the E-Mail along with the attached written document and should they be in .png or .jpg format?

And yes, these are just rough title names and descriptions.

General Internet: Web Browsers
Proposed Title: Viewing The Source - No Matter What

Brief Description: You’ll often come across Websites that are completely Flash based or have them silly JavaScript scripts running that don’t allow you to view the source of the Website. This article will guide you through viewing the source of any Website using examples from the most popular Web browsers with different methods available in each browser - You have a choice, rather than not being able to view the source.

Planning Website: Careers / Education
Proposed Title: Grab Yourself A Free Web Education

Brief Description: This article will explore different ways of grabbing yourself a free Web design / development education on the Web that will actually teach you the things that matter. You’ll explore free and up-to-date curriculums such as Operas Web Standards Curriculum as well as the WaSP InterACT curriculum. We’ll also cover free, professional books, resources, blogs and article Websites as well as podcasts and video casts.

Web Coding: Web Standards / Markup Languages / Stylesheet Languages / Client-Side
Proposed Title: (What is) Front-End Web Development (?)

Brief Description: In this section we’ll cover the three front-end Web development technologies: HTML, CSS, and JS and the layers that these technologies are attached to: structural, presentational, and behavioural so we get a thorough grounding in the theory of front-end / client-side Web development.

So yea, I’m thinking about them right now in my head. I’d like to submit them all to be in with a better chance of having a piece published in the book :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks again, you downright sexy people! :wink: :lol:

Andrew Cooper

OK, I’ll give it a shot. I’m thinking of a topic like this:

Title: Anatomy of a Website

An overview of the basic components of a website, from the elements that make up a web page to the relationships between pages, folders, images, stylesheets and scripts.

Might relate to the Website Structure category under Planning Website.

I’d also be happy to help with editing and/or proofreading the submissions.

I can help with Audio and Video content creation but since I do more professional audio. Could you guys let me know what about it that you’re interested in knowing? Don’t want to let myself stray too far from writing something useful.

I’m interested in writing about ASP.NET and IIS

I guess what it comes down to most is, what do you most want to tell the web design audience here at SitePoint about TCP/IP?

I’m not entirely sure what software HQ have access too but I would probably say (to be better safe than sorry) to save it as a conventional .doc file or something Andrew (Sarah can probably confirm this), Office 07/10 has a compatibility mode so that shouldn’t be an issue. As for images, as long as their of a high enough quality it probably doesn’t matter - and yes I would attach them separately rather than just embedding them in the document :slight_smile:

hash, I don’t know whether what you said is implied to be sarcasm but SitePoint has pretty high standards when it comes to what they publish under their name, if you’ve ever tried to get an article published here you would be aware of this. You can be sure that anything submitted is going to be verified for quality and substandard material isn’t going to be published (hence why Sarah said know your subject). I really don’t see there being any issue with such a collaboration, especially as we have so many experts and industry professionals who perhaps have never had the time or opportunity to write before. The fact Wiki’s and social collaboration is such big business these days only strengthens the potential this kind of medium could give the audience. :slight_smile:

All the subjects included are rather broad and could be taken in many different directions. We want people to be creative and come up with something they believe the SitePoint audience will find useful, fun, interesting and / or informative. If you feel there’s something relating to TCP/IP which web professionals should know about (perhaps something they get wrong or you would like to discuss) then this is a good opportunity to get something out there and get recognised for it! :smiley:

PS: Loving the ideas so far everyone, lot’s of variety, keep it coming! :slight_smile:

I’ll write something on one of the following. I’ll leave making a decision as to which until we see what others want to write about.

• Website hosting
  • Domain names
  • Self-hosting
  • Security / Privacy
  • Database (mySQL)
  • Client-side (JavaScript, AJAX, DOM, ECMAScript)

Good question.

No - we will not be charging for the PDF format of the book, but we will be selling the print on demand version at cost.

Thanks Hawk…

Let me try to think of something worth writing that I actually have a clue about.

I tend to agree with hash here and yes Alex, I’ve seen the “quality” of sitepoint books, that’s why I only by them at dirt, dirt cheap sales and then I’m still disappointed with their “quality” (:

Nice idea, but it sounds like a wiki and/or a book made of articles torn from the pages of the web. How will you battle the different writing styles of the authors?

Do the authors get a cut of the profits from any money earned by sales?

Interoperability for Community Sharing

Online Communities include many global Virtual 3D Communities more and more as we progress. I’d like to write a tutorial chapter building a simple link-sharing app for websites using PHP and LSL.

we’ve decided to try and write a collaborative book.

I’m pretty sure this is called a wiki.

They’ll also be able to claim to be a published SitePoint author.

Oh god no. Author of a book is synonymous with an expert - not someone who just wrote an article.