Choosing the best keywords

I have a few seo questions pertaining to keywords:

1. Does anyone know of a tool that I could use that could help me determine or recommend the best keywords I should use?
  2. Should I add keywords to the title of each page? If so, how many keywords or characters should I use?
  3. I already have metatags on each webpage. However, I have come across many sites that include keyword tags at the bottom of each page. Does this offer any seo benefits and should I consider adding tags on my pages?

Thanks

As what I have known of, there aren’t any tools that can recommend the best keywords you should use since it must depend on your keyword research. However, there are a few plugins in wordpress that can automatically add keywords as tags for you such as Auto SEO Tags or something like that.

As for title, you should include keywords in it. The best length that I have had results from is 40-60 characters.

Yes, adding tags will help you strengthen your keywords density. However, do not abuse it since Google does not like it that much. Your tags should have keywords as well as relevant keywords. Do not duplicate them.

<snip>

[FONT=verdana]

Does anyone know of a tool that I could use that could help me determine or recommend the best keywords I should use?

Yes. It’s the one between your ears.

I’m sorry if that sounds facetious. I don’t mean it to be. I just wanted to make the point that only you can know what the page is about, how you are targeting it, and ultimately how you want it to help you achieve your goals. No external tool can tell you that.

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]

Should I add keywords to the title of each page? If so, how many keywords or characters should I use?

Add keywords to the titles if, and only if, doing so makes things easier for your visitors. Use however many words or characters you need to compose the best title - the one that will tell your visitors what the pager is about, and encourage them to read it. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that some arbitrary length of title will give you any specific benefit.

I already have metatags on each web page. However, I have come across many sites that include keyword tags at the bottom of each page. Does this offer any seo benefits and should I consider adding tags on my pages?

There are various kinds of meta tags. The type that’s most relevant for SEO is the meta tag that has a Description attribute. That’s because the description is often used as snippet text in search results pages. Since the searcher often uses this text to decide whether to click through, it’s important to compose a description that will entice the visitor and encourage them to click.

There is no such thing as a “keyword tag”. If you are thinking of a meta tag with a Keyword attribute, these have no value at all for the major search engines. There might possibly be some lesser known engines or directories that use the keywords, but in general it’s not worth worrying about these.

Putting “keyword tags” (or any other kind of HTML tags) at the bottom of the pager makes no sense at all. All meta tags have to be in the page header. (It’s possible that I have misunderstood what you mean by “keyword tag”; if so, perhaps you could clarify.)

Mike

[/FONT]

Keyword optimisation depends almost entirely on 2 factors: what your site is about and what you want to be found for. This is not something that can be done with software, as it is entirely up to your choice of strategy. Google WMT and analytics should give you more than enough information.
[/LIST]
Once your site is in place, you can use tools to fine-tune things to profile your site relative to the competition.

You don’t add keywords to the title of a page, or anywhere else for that matter.
Keywords are the “key words” for a page i.e. the central issue that page deals with. Those words should be mentioned in the relevant metatags as an indication for the bots that that is the subject of the page.

There is no such thing as keyword tags for the bottom of a page; all tags are in the head.

In general, keywords are the words that describe what pages are about, and the common denominator of those, is what your site is about. My site for example, is about “boiler repairs in south London” and almost all my pages have keywords related to that subject. Some page will have keywords like “brand boiler repairs” or “type of boiler repairs” or “model of boiler maintenance” (to avoid having to repair) and so on.

The importance of keywords in terms of SEO has changed massively. 10 years ago, you could bump your site by means of keyword stuffing and ramming your metatags full of them; this has gone the way of the dodo. In fact, if the algorithms find the amount of keywords too high/too artificial/too much out of context, you run a good chance your site gets penalised for blackhatting.

You can use Google adword tool for making a research on Keywords to be used for your website or blog
Using Keywords in title give more power to the keywords, but be careful do not over stuff the keywords in the title

If you are using Wordpress as platform of your website then you can install a plugin called “All-in-One-SEO-Pack,” you can find it at the bottom of your pages or posts after you add this plugin. The plugin allows you to add SEO meta info. with guide and suggestions on how to properly add meta title, description and keywords.

1. You could use the Google Keyword tool, keywordtracker, Stealth…

2. Yes. Just Make it short about 40 characters.

3. You can leave this one alone. I don’t think it serves additional benefits in terms of getting that positive SEO effect. So long as you already have your meta tags, you should be fine.

Hi Mark,

Yes, you can use “Google Keywords Tool” to analyze your Websites Keywords and can find the best match for your list of Keywords and can choose them.

Should I add keywords to the title of each page? If so, how many keywords or characters should I use?

Adding only Keywords to your Title would not be appropriate, However you can add Title to your Webpages describing about your Webpage content, and you can use your Keywords in it.

I already have metatags on each webpage. However, I have come across many sites that include keyword tags at the bottom of each page. Does this offer any seo benefits and should I consider adding tags on my pages?

Building Meta Tags, is a good SEO On-page perspective, it should be descriptive containing a brief summary about your page content along with your Keywords. No, Keywords at the bottom of the Page, does not offer any of the SEO benefits. However it can be considered as spam and is one of the Black Hat SEO termed “Keywords Stuffing”

i prefer google adword tool for choosing right keywords for my websites.you can add 3 to 4 targetted keywprds in each tiltle page but that keyword should be unique don’t repeate that keywords.i think keyword tag is not important there is no seo benifits from keyword tags.

Can anybody tell me what is the exact match and broad match tool used for in the Google adwords when choosing keywords for your site and not for Adwords ads.

Hi There,

Exact Match is the exactly matched Website results without being the Words altered and in continuous phrase as of your selected Keyword, while you are searching in search engines. However the broad match includes the Words altered, synonyms used and broadly matched with your searched Keyword.

For SEO Campaign, you can use to search the exact match results using “Keyword” (Keyword within double quotes) query in the search tab, for broad match you can directly search for your Keyword without any quotes :slight_smile:

A combination of Market Samurai and the Google Adwords tool works well. Remember you need to consider competition levels and the commercial intent behind keywords, not just traffic volumes.

I use a simple system which begins with truly understanding who is your most perfect, ideal customer/visitor. Be very, very specific.

Now, try to learn everything about this person. Get inside their mind, their needs, wants and desires (not yours).

Once that is done, I keep it simple and use the Google keyword research tool, do a Google search and see what google suggests as I type, I also look for related searches, etc. There’s also Google trends and such. Lots of great tools from Google. So far, it works for me.

Thank you so much, this means for optimization of the website we should concentrate on the exact keywords right?