Difficult readable captcha code

anybody tell me or give a code of difuclt captcha
which become diffuclt to read

I’ve encountered probably 20-30 different mechanisms and all of which have been broken. The easiest way to break text based ones is to use OCR software (like you get in scanners), they have become so good that if it’s human legible then the machine is likely to be able to read it. The problem with text based CAPTCHA’s where you have to enter the values is (of course) accessibility for the visually impaired, and for a blind person the only current alternative is the aural variation (which is basically a sound file where they have to work past the distortion to know what word to enter), in this case the way around it is to use voice recognition, while not as reliable or forward focused as OCR, it takes quite a bit of distortion to fool them so again the machine only has to “beat” the most disabled individual. In such cases, all you need is either one or the other to be broken (which you have to provide both as blind people can’t read the random text and the deaf can’t listen to the garbled sounds). Let’s not forget something here… even if you do produce something that the spammers can’t break using a machine, they can wield thousands of willing people who’ll crack them by hand for pennies per solved one… which means unless you’ve got some fairytale magical CAPTCHA that is smart enough to allow the right kind of people but deny the human solvers plus the robots, you’re authenticity checking solution is about as good as a bucket with a small hole in the bottom. :slight_smile:

PS: It seems pretty apparent that you’re making claims about how strong CAPTCHA’s can be without any evidence to back-up that a solution exists. I suspect if you did have some magical method to ensure a CAPTCHA that is both accessible (to the widest extent possible) and proven to knock off all the bad guys, you would be a very rich man (and not just someone making claims in a forum). Perhaps you could provide some evidence to support your initial argument claiming it’s possible (as after all, you are the one contradicting what is commonly accepted amongst the accessibility community and the general principles of turning testing.

sounds like a good idea to me.

we’re just going round in circles now.

Perhaps its time to start a different thread?

AFAIK the OP topic is “code for a difficult to read CAPTCHA” not a cyclical “I can’t/won’t prove my statements, you prove yours”.

Perhaps you are under misunderstanding that I am not asking you to believe what I post.

If you don’t believe anything I post that is fine because I don’t believe everything I read in forums like this as well :slight_smile:

If you think I have posted anywhere that my captcha is unbreakable, can you please post the thread and post number where you think I make such a claim.

From client feedback, I have no reason to believe my captcha has been broken at all. That means either no-one has tried to or they don’t have the ability to do so or it is time inefficient for them to continue trying.

I have explained in earlier posts why I cannot provide examples of the captcha I have built and use on client web sites.

hmmm - you keep asking for proof and yet you make claims like this

I have worked with several hundred people who couldn’t use a computer normally aka needed special hardware and/or software to use a computer. The lab rank second in the US, no I cannot give proof because it was an article that I don’t have a link to anymore.

without providing any proof yourself and I have no reason to believe they are true at all and I have no way of verifying whether they are true or not.

I already explained that I cannot provide examples of the captcha that I have built and use on client sites without revealing my identity.

And I am still not sure your request for proof is just a “back door” attempt to get some free captcha code.

As I posted earlier, if you don’t believe anything I post that is fine :slight_smile: because I don’t believe everything I read in forums like this as well.

I will continue to use captcha’s on client sites as I see fit until either the client complains about loosing customers or someone actually breaks my captcha.

So far the main feedback I have received from my client’s is that the number of “junk” registrations has significantly reduced or been eliminated alltogether :slight_smile:

I am satisfied that it can. I am not saying that just because I know it can, that everyone else must be satisfied it can as well.

That obviously does not mean that they do not exist.

How many captcha’s have you looked at and how many of those can you prove have been broken?

Or alternatively the honey trap method. It is very simple yet effective without the CAPTCHA’s usability problems.

I don’t believe this is true for well designed image captchas.

And even image captchas require a real person to test the captcha looking for patterns on fonts, font sizes, character locations etc etc before they can attempt to write code to break the captcha.

Now that I have a reasonable understanding on how to build a robust image captcha, I am amazed at how many weak image captchas are out there on the www that would not be difficult to break for someone who knew what they were doing and was determined to break the captcha for whatvere reason - notoriety, bragging rights, malicious intentions etc.

Once you understand what makes a weak image captcha, it is not that difficult for a programmer to make a strong image captcha while maintaining an acceptable balance between captcha readability and security.

With time outs, if the interval is worked out then you are vulnerable to being broken in that short time period, even though the probability is very low.

CAPTCHA’s are not the answer, it’s quite a simple argument.

People with disabilities need them to be made easier to make use of them, computers only need to be able to outsmart the least able human… ergo it fails.

The stronger the CAPTCHA the more people who can’t use it, the more usable the CAPTCHA, the easier it is for bots to break.

Oh and bots CAN break text CAPTCHA’s, and in some cases (for hard ones), they pay people pennies to decipher them for spam to get through. :slight_smile:

proof please

That’s like me saying I am 99% sure it is correct and please, please give me proof that it isn’t :slight_smile:

Is 7 years working a computer lab that is all about accessibility enough? I have worked with several hundred people who couldn’t use a computer normally aka needed special hardware and/or software to use a computer. The lab rank second in the US, no I cannot give proof because it was an article that I don’t have a link to anymore.

I can’t give you commercial examples of my captcha’s because all my clients’ commercial websites have a link back to my personal website where I have my photo and identity. For obvious reasons I am not going to reveal my identity, directly or indirectly, in forums like this.

hmm ok

Your request for proof could also be interpreted as a sly attempt to get some free captcha code which you could then do whatever you like with if you wanted to. I don’t see any point in providing free captcha generating code when you might be able to write your own or at least look for some on the www yourself.

Lmao, go through my posts, try to find where I tried to back door people. I am with Alex here, captchas aren’t good… Instead of trying to black ball me, and protecting yourself, you could find another website that has similar tactics as yours. :wink:

I am satisfied that it can. I am not saying that just because I know it can, that everyone else must be satisfied it can as well.
again, proof please, I know you will say you can’t due your statements above, so when does it end?

That obviously does not mean that they do not exist.

How many captcha’s have you looked at and how many of those can you prove have been broken?
Check out webvisum. it breaks captchas for legit reasons:)

Please tell me you will take that back. Simple test: Take a simple sentence. Go to a nearsighted person, have them read at normal distance with their glasses, then 5-10 feet without. I am willing to bet most can’t read at 10 feet. You did nothing besides distance, which you can hopefully see the parallels to a captcha code…

please be careful with wording, this could be taken as these need to be easier cause people with disabilities aren’t smart enough to do a normal one. i know you didn’t mean this, but hopefully see my point.

:rofl::rofl:

PLEASE PLEASE give me proof. I am 99% sure this is incorrect.

That is not true in all cases.

I can make a “technically” weak captcha and I can make a “technically” strong captcha and the same number of people will be able to read both.

A bot may or may not be able to break a strong captcha. It depends on whether all of the captcha’s design features (defences against segmentation and binarisation attacks etc etc etc) are being tested for by the bot.

For my “contact” form I use CAPTCHA - with Flood Control.

For most users it uses an “easier” font, but for anonymous proxies and DNSBL IPs it uses a “more difficult” font.

I don’t believe that is true at all.

I can make a strong captcha and I can make a weak captcha and just as many people could read both but a technically stronger image captcha can be very much harder to break using a bot.

Making a stronger captcha could prevent some people from accessing your site, but it if done properly it won’t.

That’s not just difficult it is impossible. Even a weak image CAPTCHA will prevent some people accessing the site and the stronger you make it the more people you prevent.

That’s why image CAPTCHAs are now considered to be as outdated as IE6 and better less obtrusive methods are used instead.

The best CAPTCHAs are the ones that your visitors (bots or real people) don’t see but which work behind the scenes to distinguish between the two - such as timing how long it takes to fill out a form and identifying any forms filled out too quickly to have been done by a person as having been done by a bot.

The above will produce a CAPTCHA so difficult to read that your visitors will need a working crystal ball in order to be able to read it. Of course that’s still no guarantee that spambots will not find a way around it.

exactly, cause a difficult captcha is a relative term.

That claim cannot be justified, there are far too many variables in relation to how individuals may be affected by the complexity of a CAPTCHA or how advanced a particular bot may be (in respect to how it tries to break the mechanism) to proclaim that “the same number of people” can solve any particular mechanism.

Let me put it to you this way… I’ve yet to see a single example of a CAPTCHA mechanism that has not either been cracked or a mechanism to work around the method been presented. Irrespective of it’s design or features the facts still show that these tests have yet to produce something that’s not only accessible but resilient.

Point taken, though by easier I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the interpretation rather than it’s intellectual simplicity. :slight_smile: