Do not use godaddy.com

I have over 100 domains registered with GoDaddy and use their hosting ($14.95) per month for several WordPress Blogs and Joomla installations.

Have no problems with domain creation, FTP, Dreamweaver. It all works well.

I think their higher hosting plans are a little pricey, and absolutely do not like their email.

With Google Apps, you almost don’t need anyones POP service now.

For what I do with GoDaddy, they perform as advertised.

Bob

godaddy domain names still the best, but for hosting i’ll try another one

yes, I like hostmonster.

I have several clients on Godaddy hosting and I would advise against it. Their support is horrible and often the advice you receive is not congruent with what another representative may have told you only moments before, one support person even admitted to me that they had not used phpmyadmin before. They won’t even import a DB for you on shared hosting, you need to import it in chunks to get around the size limitation. The control panel is also counter intuitive.

I also had a VDS/VPS through them for a year and noticed I had issues receiving the amount of guaranteed available memory that was promised in the package, nightly backups would have issues running due to lack of free memory even though my services were consuming very little.

As for domains I prefer moniker as they don’t impose extra time you must wait to transfer domains if you have edited contact information on your domains (they add an extra 60 days before you can transfer if you do so) which is a violation of ICANNs policy. All and all I would prefer to avoid Godaddy when at all possible.

I find their website to be confusing once you are logged in. There are so many webpages and it takes them forever to load because they are always trying to upsell you on so much crap.

I’m currently using GoDaddy and I am pretty much indifferent. For the price I haven’t had a problem, however I’ve preferred some of the more expensive sites I’ve used.

I am with godaddy and the only problem I had was I lost my domain

(let me explain)

because a teammate had paid for it and then it expired. He paid for another year and my site came up again and I was happy. I wanted to have it in my name so he transferred it to me. I got the confirmation that it was successfully sent to me so I was very happy and confident that I was in control. I mean … godaddy led me to believe that anyway.

Well then this is where I LOST MY DOMAIN …

His payment didn’t go through so godaddy repossessed my domain and I can’t get it back because it was the guy who paid for it … not me. I called godaddy and I admit … the support could have been better. I called from my country (Canada) to the USA long distance as there is no toll free number and I had to wait to talk to someone for 10 min. Then when I finally got to talk to a tech he put me on hold for another 5 min and came back to say that there was no paper trail of what happened but they KNOW I HAD an account … but for some reason I have no domain anymore … nice.

Then I had to contact another section called Undo and then they said I was at the wrong department so again I had to wait in line for Support. It took me from Thursday to Monday night to finally find out they needed a 4 digit code from the guy who got me my domain and since he never got back to me … I lost the domain.

So I had to get a new domain name because of that. But I don’t blame godaddy. I blame the guy who let me down. But I do wish I would have known his money didn’t go through even though it was transferred to my name. I mean … since it was in MY NAME should I have not gotten an email saying I had to pay??

One thing I learned … never let anyone else gift you with a domain name. Buy it yourself lol.

Okay … that is my experience with godaddy. Other than that … they seem okay.

I have been looking into DreamHost however because of this and with my hosting (through urldownload) issues I have had since early Dec. The last thing I needed was for the domain to be taken away after the hosting issues were finally fixed … gah …

Hmm… Alicia mind if I PM you? I would be very interested in talking to you about my situation.

I thought go daddy was a good domain host(lots of advertising), thanks for the heads up. I currently use another domain host which is kinda ok to average.

Lots of people are bashing Godaddy, although I have tested various web hosting companies, I even never tried their service :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not so much bashing as sharing my experience with the company honestly.

Cool. Go try liquidweb, as for my personal experience, they are really one of the best (if not the best). FOr domain management, try name.com.

“Do not use godaddy.com
-amen

I would definitely need more than that to get me to quit using godaddy. I’ve bought every domain I’ve ever owned through them, without a problem. Their customer support, regardless of their advertising methods, is far too good to just abandon them.

Also, who would anyone recommend for price and reliablity??

Godaddy is a domain company, hosting seems very BAD

If you read my previous post explaining my experience you may understand. It seems last April they did start complying with ICANN policy but only after a large amount of bad press, I’m about to test this though to make sure.

Godaddy popular for domains
but hosting !

Godaddy holds most of the market share, so that should tell you something.

I agree if your real savvy with site programming then use a better service but if your a newbie you really can’t beat godaddy site builder fast and you can publish in under 10 mins. Godaddy is just like any other hosting site they want to make money and their service stays top notch.

Agree.

Always get a hosting that have a live tech support and not only email , best still, get a hosting where you live.

Lesson learned from Dreamhost aka dyinghost/deadhost all they provide is email support and their Cpanel sucks.