Dreamweaver Alternative

Companies are removing application from Mac OS and Linux
Not porting.
NetObjects Fusion, Corel Draw are but a few examples.
I don’t think Adobe, Macromedia, will port their applications to Linux at anytime soon.
And when they do - it will be [too late](http://slashdot.org/~The MESMERIC/journal/91738).

Yeah true. I actually use winsyntax which has color syntax highlighting, line numbers (a got to have for php coding) etc… but for some reason it seems to have disapeared from the face of the earth. They probably charge for it now. :rolleyes: That’s what happends to most good programs.

As others have said, a good option is Composer, part of the Mozilla suite. Fast, easy-to-use and good CSS handling.

Matt

What’s the best WYSIWYG editor with PHP support ?

The best I’ve found until now in Dreamweaver.

if you code server side I strongly recommend you ditch wysiwygs

I have been using HomeSite/Topstyle pro for some time now. I love it. Nvu looks promising. I think I’ll wait for Nvu 1.0.

Zend DE is my personal favorite, too. PHP functionality unmatched by the free programs I’ve tried. It’s worth the investment.

go zend studio I have it and its really good.

You didn’t say if it is a Windows, Mac or Linux enviroment. If it is a Linux enviroment, may I suggest you give SCREEM a look.

SCREEM Offers PHP also.

I don’t if any of you have seen this before but here is an interesting article relating to comparisons between dreamweaver and OS alternatives

When I bought StudioMX 2004 w/ Flash Pro it came with Homesite5.5+.

You can still buy Homesite5.5 seperately from Macromedia. Homesite is not integrated into Dreamweaver, its a totally seperate program altogether, which is what i think Guru was saying, but might have mislead some folks.

You can purchase Homesite5.5 for $99. Its a great alternaltive to DreamweaverMX. I used it for years until I started learning Coldfusion. Dreamweaver has alot of shortcut that i like so it made sense for me to make that leap.

You shouldn’t recommend getting hacks.

Well they don’t have to. If you are wanting to run any of the Macromedia Studio pieces just put WINE on your *nix machine. Here is a link:
WINE HQ

There is a long list of free html utulities here http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/HTML_freeware/.

Hi Jonathan,
this is a very good article, also explaining the advantages templates can have over includes. Thanks for sharing!

True. I used to use frontpage for my site. (Yes, Frontpage… really naughty of me) and when I got into php I would code by hand in notepad in .php files that strictly have php, and echo for html. I’d usually use like an iframe or something and put the .php file in it. really nasty.

Then I figured I should just put the php right in the html file, did it in front page, clicked save, wham! All the php was gone!

Same with other editors.

Front page is the worse to use though if you use wysiwyg… man it generates the worse code. A 1KB page coded by hand could easly turn into 5KB if done in front page. :lol:

[font=Arial]

[/font]

I do agree orbitalgroup, but before anyone goes for [font=Arial]TopStyle[/font][font=Arial] which basically built for advanced users with good knowledge on CSS and XHTML, we need to first look at [b]NOTEPAD replacement[/b], ie, [/font][url=“http://www.notetab.com/”][font=Arial]NoteTAB[/font]. NoteTab is a leading-edge Windows text editor and HTML Coding tool, and an excellent Notepad replacement. Since 1998, this application does it all to handle multiple large files with a simple tabbed interface, use a spell-checker and thesaurus, format text, extract detailed word statistics, and bookmark documents. You can build document templates, use powerful system-wide searches, and do global multi-line replacements…So no more notepad frustration :slight_smile:

It seems to me everyone has their program they use. I use dreamweaver and php designer 2005. The only way you are going to find a program you just to going to have to learn on.

Someone needs to make a program with Dreamweaver’s WYSIWYG and Zend Studio’s PHP support :slight_smile:

No I stronly recommend you DONT use notepad. Notepad does what the name means. Its a note pad for copy pasing and reading txt files as well as storing short notes. Do not code with notepad as it is a piece of ****. There is no syntax highlighting (extremely important) and no line numbering.

There are several programmer’s editors that I have used. THe ones that I liked most are Editplus for programming and Topstyle for coding webpages.