Dreamweaver Alternative

How about a curve ball … build your own :slight_smile:

There is also the version that postnuke uses called typetool: http://viewdev.sourceforge.net

Its only a matter of time before the competitor is in itself a web page.

http://www.nvu.com

Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver.

Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a “new view”) makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.

It couldn’t drag me away from Dreamweaver but I think its the best alternative.

I use Eversofts 1st page when doing html/css etc type stuff. It has NOT once ever let me down.

Dreamweaver is a powerfull bit of software. Works well when used in conjunction with Fireworks. The trouble with WYSIWYG is you will be limited in the long run both in the quality of your design and code. As these packages are designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.

Hope this helps

What’s in Dreamweaver that makes it “not for professionals”?

Oh wow & I thought all these years that I’m a professional using it & so are many thousands who use it. But now after reading your comment, I think that I’m an amateur. :rolleyes:
Really tell me what do you know about DreamweaverMX 2004? If you think its like FrontPage etc. then I’d say that you don’t know about it.
And I’m not against hand coding either. Infact most of the times I code by hand, but I use Dreamweaver for that. What WYSIWYG editors are for is to quickly create page layouts & place controls etc. on it. Then you can hand code to tweak that code yourself.
And in CodeView too, Dreamweaver is a great asset providing auto-complete features & syntax hiliting & line numbering. :slight_smile:

Is there a way using DWMX2004 to make your offline site (on your computer) sycronise with your online one? I guess if you upload everything from DWMX2004 everything will be right, but what happens if you start using a FTP program instead and you have to do the reverse?

Thanks.

Oh no I’m being flamed! Sorry everyone. I think you missunderstood the point I was making. I use dreamweaver all the time and it is a fantastic and a professional tool.

The point I was trying to put over was if a budding developer gives up on professional tools like dreamweaver in search of a quick fix i.e more WYSIWYG then this is in my opinion a mistake.

Hope this clears things up.

I have submitted a revised post to clear up the missunderstanding. however
In future It would help when quoting people if you didnt edit messages in in such a way as to make a new point or to fuel the fire. You edited my message to read something much different from the origianal posting. We are all adults in here and this medium isnt perfect. In future check for understanding first.

Below is part of my original message as you edited it compare to the original and you will see what I mean.

Originally Posted by rueben
Dreamweaver …
…designed for ameteurs who want a homepage for their Dog, Goldfish etc. If you want professional results you need to work hard and get proficient with the professional tools.

Cool with me :wink:

Wine is hard - my hats off to anyone that can make Internet Explorer 6 run on it.
CrossOver Office - is a commercial version of Wine, that includes a lot of hacks - so installation is simple (Photoshop 6/7 didn’t work too well I found)

Better still but more expensive : there is Win4Lin
That will give you a nice Windows 98 enviroment (only works with Win 95/98/ME)
It is faster and more compatible/complete than Wine but can be much harder to install, and obviously it won’t run apps that are not Win 98 compatible (bye bye anything ending in MX or CS or the number 12)

Which begs the question - why the trouble and not just run Windows full stop?
Exactly.
But my best set of web developing tools only runs on Linux … and that does not include Dreamweaver emulated.

I know & I understand(now) what you meant. :slight_smile:

Sorry about that. I edited the quoted message not to fuel the fire. I thought that it represented what I thought you were saying. :slight_smile:

In Thailand you can buy any program in 4$. <but its illegal>

I found this - never tried it and runs only on Linux
http://www.ndeepak.info/stuff/vtu/ginf/

I seriously believed the list of open source WYSIWYG editors for Linux was extremely minimal
(Mozilla Composer, NVU, OOWeb Writer) but now found this one.

Ok… into the Fray…

I use HTML-Kit as backup to Dreamweaver. I never liked DW until MX. I used Homesite for years, but the info here seems a bit off.

Homesite was originally from Allaire and was one of the best coders available. It was then bought out my Macromedia. The structure of Homesite was brought into Dreamweaver for the MX series - that is what was meant by it being absorbed by DW. I have heard nothing but the original comments at the time that Homesite was being dropped as a independent editor. It has simply been absorbed by DW and further developement halted. Personally I feel that if Homesite were not part of DW I would still not care for DW… it improved DW code view that much.

Now for free WYSIWYG editors - have a look at XStandard. Originally designed for more CMS use, it opens in your browser and has tools such as you see when posting here or by M$N Groups. However it puts out the best standard compliant code available.

I like EditPlus (a great overall text editor, but some great toolbars come into play when you load HTML files) http://www.editplus.com/

But TopStyle, definitely looks awesome, i should try that sometime

I use Dw MX 2004. I like how it integrates with flash and fireworks. I think that if you are billing yourself as a profesional designer you need to have tools to produce profesional results. There are people who can design fantastic sites using tools like “notepad” but they are few and far between. As for the rest of us, if we take the time to learn the tools the results will be greatly improved. Another tool I like is Zend studio. It helps to trouble shoot buggy php scripts. When you are using includes and functions in multiple files there isn’t a tool out there that helps to keep track of it. the time that is saved will pay for the price. I think that some of us are more concerned about investing money into our businesses. With the right tools and used properly you will make the money back by doing faster more efficient design with less time spent then by playing with freeware.

Yea I used EditPlus in school when learning Perl, PHP, and C++. Very good editor for that stuff. I have dusted it off recently and am doing a current site with it again… just a question if I can remeber the tricks I had learned for configuring and using it.

editplus is geat

try out html free 2005 frrom www.mpsoftware.dk
By the same guy(s) who make php designer 2005
It’s free and is somewhat an alternative to dw…

haven’t really used it… but it seems ok

Michael Pham the lead developer throws in a whole lot of work into his two prrojects and updates constantly… somethin’ I thought that was worth mentionin’

(did I just vouch for a program that I’ve used only twice? … yes… sadly I did)

try it now, flame me later…
heh