• Drifting •

Not really, and I highly doubt the 137 year old brick building that I call home could withstand one either. :frowning:

Lol Dan…137 year old house…are you living in a museum :smiley: (No offense intended…just kidding:))

What do you do if a warning gets to you in time?

I know that in cities people can go into basements in stores as an example. I once was in Ann Arbor when a storm warning came in, we were all allowed to take shelter in a Jacobson’s basement. The lights went off, all the merchandise around, the sales staff had a real fit. We were standing in there like trees in a thick forest, it happened when the big art fair was going on in town. Thankfully the storm passed by a little off.

Actually, I live in a former mom-and-pop grocery store that’s been converted to an apartment building in one of Aurora’s many historical districts.

Unfortunately for me, the basement is too cluttered with the landlord’s garbage to really take comfort (or shelter) should a twister touch down nearby.

Do you have a closet you could sort of pad?

I have in my closet (very tiny) some blankets, a little radio, a flashlight. Just in case.

I like the many different types of tree there are.

too much drift? :smiley:

Ok, I live in an old house also. It used to be two separate 3 storey homes, but now has been converted into business space on the bottom and two spacious flats above. Most of this street was built in 1837, sadly now the houses are all converted to flats, most occupied by students and others by professionals willing to put up with them so they can live nearer the city and work. Still, if a house goes on the market here they fetch half a (uk) million. About 500,000 GBP.

What is the difference between a UK and USA million anyway?

I have a bathroom that’s not exposed to the outside, that’s it. :frowning:

Oh and Andy, to answer your question, it’s about $530,000 or so.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/uk/currency.htmSunday, June 10, 2007

1,000,000 US Dollar = 507,733 British Pound
1,000,000 British Pound (GBP) = 1,969,540 US Dollar (USD)

Median price = 0.50748 / 0.50773 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 0.50736 / 0.50762
Maximum price = 0.50798 / 0.50823

Drift on Andy, anything goes, that was the intent. Sometimes you just want to say something, not make a big deal out of it :slight_smile:

[FONT=“Georgia”]507,733 British Pound… 1,000,000 Dollars…

Not making a big deal… priceless…[/FONT]

Interesting, so then a house on my road costs a million USD. I cannot say they are REALLY worth that much, as house prices in the UK are inflated like a ballon about to pop. Normal morgages here are up to 5 times the average salary, and I don’t even make an ‘average’ salary.

Does anybody here like to work with wood? I have an uncle who was a carpenter and he’s been teaching me some things, I’d like to be able to make my own furniture…

sorry i’ve been rude, I meant to say:

that’s what it’s like here in the UK during winter :frowning:

Especially as when you get to work, it’s barely dawn to begin with.

I have the feeling as well that inflation is much higher than the Gov figures tell us. Just shopping for groceries makes you aware of it. It is a slow and creeping thing.

I don’t mind when it is dark

Well, the Federal Reserve says inflation has been rising at a rate of about 2-3% a year, though I’ve been noticing (at least here in northern Illinois) that it’s been more like 10-13% a year (but that’s because I include food and energy in the mix - something the Fed stopped doing after the oil crisis of the 70s).

I wouldn’t know. I haven’t been to a movie theater in a couple years.

In London as a student I pay £5.50 (£1 ~ $2). Non-students pay about £8. And a decent-sized tub of popcorn is about £3. I have never bought popcorn at a UK cinema. If it were more reasonably priced, I might.

I’m surprised, I thought cinemas in the US would be cheaper.

That is exactly why you should only keep money for daily expenses. Penny saved is penny wasted. The surplus is a negative factor. But of course, it is an art to spend a dollar and have it come back with its friends. But that’s how this thing works.

I went out this afternoon to a nature preserve, a little spot of land by the Manatee River, which flows into Tampa Bay, where our Island sticks into. There are some mighty old trees around, and one of the old oaks was loaded with spanish moss. Fairytale like, so I thought I share this moment:

Try $10 for a movie ticket. JUST the ticket. Popcorn and drinks are extra.

$9, but I have so many free passes I haven’t paid for a movie in about a year