February Shout Out: Sayings that drive you mad!

One of my favourite things to do is guess completely ridiculous stuff.

“Guess whaaaat!”
“You fell into the toilet bowl again?!”
“What? No.”

They soon learn.

Your Mother or Aunt, Sister ,Brother has just died , I can’t stand ---- “A happy release” HE - She “is in a better place” He (She ) had “good innings” how blinking insensitive !!!:nono:

words that end in “pocalypse”, like the current US News organizations’ freak out over snow and calling it “snowpocalypse”. :rolleyes:

Add to that, words that end in “gate” as new names of scandals.

[FONT=“Georgia”]That sounds like a whole other different kind of event there.

[/FONT]

another one is “and whatever” following a sentance. “like you know”

Raffles said: ‘“spend a penny” is one that annoys me, not sure why.’

I’m not sure why, either. Before the rise of customer care and free services (not least on motorways in the UK), you had to pay to use public toilets, and the usual charge was one pre-decimal penny. As we had a politer society then, “spend a penny” was an honest and instantly understood euphemism.

AlexDawson responded: ‘Maybe because in the UK, if you have a penny, you won’t be able to spend it on much.’

Well, that’s exactly what happened. Come decimalisation in 1971, all those public toilet machines had to be changed, and although a new penny was worth 2.5 old ones, the increase wasn’t worth enough to pay for new machines - and the new penny had far less weight, so I’d guess that new machines (then) might have been less reliable with them. So the toilets became free or - especially if abused - were demolished.

But by then the euphemism was deeply embedded among the politer sections of society, and remains in common use despite the lost origin. And why not - look at the alternatives and ask yourself if they are an improvement…

asl pls
brb
barbie ?
wth ?

I feel really bad saying this but I chuckled when I saw this. Such a good comeback (which I’m going to borrow next time if that’s alright :)).

I hate lots of business related sayings, such as “Touch base” or “Leverage”.

My personal favourite to hate though is “Let’s take this offline” - how about no. Seeing as I work with the internet, let’s not take this offline and let’s just deal with it now shall we?!

I also echo someones earlier post about using of instead of 've/have (as in should of). That really annoys me!

They found "a lifeless corpse " !! “true facts” !!!:goof:

[FONT=“Georgia”]Yes!

Along with everyone these days who thinks ‘lose’ has two O’s.

[/FONT]

There are so many…“Literally” is a big one. But the number one worst offender of all time has to be “Irregardless”. I cringe when I hear that.

No worries, I have loads more comebacks :stuck_out_tongue:

My response to that would be… “fine by me, give me your address and I’ll write you a seriously well written, snarky letter, first class post.” :lol:

I heard this one yesterday… someone being interviewed on TV.
I made “individual errors myself” !!

I really do not like the word “hubby”. When I get married, I refuse to call my husband “hubby”. I think of a big fat lazy guy. :rolleyes:

Is it “fella” an usually word ?

Well, there are probably phrases that grate on me from time to time, but really depending on how they are said/in what circumstances.

But, a lot of this kind of thing is language/culture based: As an Example: Safe/ Scene/ Sick / Awesome = all mean the same damn thing! :wink: What each culture is trying (desparately) to say is “that’s nice” in different ways! LMAO :rofl:

One that I perfectly agree with, one Raffles already mentioned, is “Chillax” …that one is almost Shakespearian but yet has FAIL stamped over it a-plenty :smiley:

A basketball game anotator said " they are having another second chance this quarter ".

Isn’t that redundant? :goof:

It’s kind of same thing as " end result "

How about “You Know” every ten words or less?