Google Plus. Thoughts? Experiences?

That’s how all social networks work, you need an email to register and use! Don’t see where you see a problem, with google you create one account and have access to all their services.

Not a google employee, am an employee of myself actually! Not a fan of google either but there are a few google products I like and use, I use google reader, adwords and Analytics, and now google+

I know how social networks work.

Well, for people who already have an email at another provider, they get another email on top: the gmail one. And most likely, if you get your google+ profile, only the gmail address will appear visible in public to your friends, and none of other providers.
In that case, your friends in your google+ list who need to send you an email, will see that one, think you’ve changed provider and mail you on that one in the future, instead of your old one.
It’s a handy way of google to make people get rid of their yahoo/hotmail/other mail providers, and get used to only use the gmail account.

Does not state anywhere that you have to have a gmail account in order to join google plus, as far as I know google+ allows you to invite anyone with any email account, and I also know that you can create a google account without having to get Gmail either

Have had a google account with my company’s email address for ages, dint need Gmail or never created one until a few months ago that a service wanted a Gmail in order to store some info, so I do have one now but don’t use it, still use my normal email to sign in to google.

Worthless to me if while you can keep something “private” from a set of friends, but 15 different advertising companies know you posted it and will hound you til the end of your days with offers to buy stuff vaguely related to whatever it is you posted.

People need to stop calling it “privacy” and start calling it “separation” (as we say, separation of professional and personal lives).

Google+ has a nice little look to it. However, it is too similar to Facebook. The Circles are a very cool idea, I do agree. However, if Facebook feels any threat, they could implement the same feature on their own network and then Google would really have a hard time catching steam. Beyond that, I haven’t really noticed anything special.

I hear that Google+ also makes it VERY EASY to share videos on Android based phones. I have yet to see it, but that also sounds like a very cool feature. Google could do something really strong in that genre if they really push it.

I don’t have much knowledge about the Google Plus and I wonder if I could get a source that directly describe the facts of Google +. I have been seen that the term Google Plus is headed a lot in forums during days. Well I would like to go for getting much information about it.

It works, I’m using it! Facebook does have quite the head-start on Google, but it depends on how well it catches on. It seems to be getting quite a bit of buzz these days.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the difference between G+ and +1. Despite their similar names the two have very little correlation. Google Plus is social media network like Facebook or Twitter. +1 is a button that shows up in the search results of Google that allows you to in essence thumb a result up placing it higher in the results the next time you search (more info on that here: Google +1 Button).

What about FAN pages or business pages… you would think Google plus would roll that out now.

A couple of things I love about G+ so far

• Very granular sharing. I can share with a circle, just 1 or a selection of people or publicly.
  • UX is clean, simple.
  • Android app is also clean and simple.
  • Potential integration with Picasa

Don’t like so much:

• I can’t use my Google Apps account yet.
  • No business pages.
  • None of my friends are on there.
  • Friend suggestions from Gmail contacts is weak… No relevance algos used for this I don’t think…?
  • Android app “Nearby” tab gives me random people in my list. I actually don’t care that John Random is at Starbucks 1.6 miles away from me!

BUT

When these things are fixed/added, G+ will be great! I can see it as an alternative to Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin all in one, especially if third party devs can hook in some great linkage apps… I prefer it to Facebook, however it has one key ingredient missing… All my friends!

Looking forward to it opening up and seeing it in it’s full glory…

Edit
Anyone know if there is a share to G+ button yet? I couldn’t find anything… Maybe needs to wait for the API to be released?

They are accepting applications for the testing phase: https://plus.google.com/105923173045049725307/posts/DFf6RPhX2rU

I disagree. The two are nothing alike.

With Google+ you have buttons and links all over the place that do things and every time you do something it asks you to confirm who you want to share it with. With FaceBook it takes forever to find where anything is. I joined FaceBook two weeks ago and still can’t find ANYTHING whereas Google+ is easy to use.

Also for those claiming you need an email account on a particular network to join either of these - you don’t. The only email addresses I have are on my own domain.

I wonder if people are getting confused between using a +1 button which you need a google account for and Google+ which you can sign up with any email unless it’s a google apps account…

Yes, I agree re the simplicity… Mind you, when I started on FB about 5 years ago, it was simple and quite easy to use… Let’s hope G+ doesn’t go down the FB route of sensory overload!

It’s definitely going to impact Google search, probably more than Facebook. I mean why wouldn’t Google give their own “votes” more credit. As for Facebook, people still use Myspace so I don’t think they have anything to worry about. The competition between the two will be good for marketers. I’m interested to see how the new Facebook search option is going to be used.

Personally, I like Google plus a lot better. The circles are awesome.
<snip/>

I definately like the ability to put people into circles and you can create as many circles with different level of sharing/privacy. Finally, a social network that does permissions/privacy correctly.

i love the circles!

We can all agree Google always seem to be on the for-front of new technologies, but it’s concepts are fairly old.

I remember Google Wave, all geared towards HTML5, only one problem, nobody was developing their sites in HTML5 then.

Circles is cool. Facebook in my opinion has grown too large, it would be very very difficult for Facebook to do the same in such an easy way. They always seam to patch their site up, rather than create completely new revamps. Revamps scare people using FB and FB owners.

Only time will tell if this is a success.

Of course they only get one real shot so making sure the ducks are all lined up is worth some about of hype burn… it’s just a matter of how much.

It’s like Gmail vs Hotmail. I use Gmail and would never use Hotmail. Saying this I know more people on Hotmail, particularly not-tech. Once Hotmail got the name it obviously became the in thing, even against GMails asynchronous calls.

In my opinion Google Chrome was Google’s biggest success ever, that and search engine results. :stuck_out_tongue: The difference between this and other Google products is that they hung in there and fought the battle evolving and advertising their product effectively.

…gives Facebook even more time to launch and push features that rival, or supersede anything plus does.

Precisely. Saying that I have not seen Facebook really do anything shocking with their design and functionality which could match Google’s impressive entrances on things.

We as web developers/designer, internet enthusiasts thrive on change, particularly in the field of the web. Can’t say the same for other.

If there was a Facebook application which would allow the transit to be made easier then I could see potential, but as it currently stands, unless Google decide to advertise it on it’s clean virgin looking homepage, I can’t see the herds crowding over this.

Can anybody invite me to this. I would love to get involved.

Circles are something I really missed at Facebook. I did not like the fact that my business partners for example can see my pictures from holiday, or from some parties with friends, while on the other hand, why would my friends and family see all those business links I have posted. So, circles are excellent idea and reason why I have opted for G+.

@sega send me an e-mail on PM, I’ll send you invitation

a lot of people have gone to using gmail as their primary email account, even for business or professional purposes. I would consider them to be googles first and foremost target user group. from what I have seen so far, more like linked in than facebook to me. one of the goals inside of this initiative is the +1 button being placed alongside the facebook like button.

It would be nice to be able to link Wordpress with Google+

@qwaerstd What you have in mind? You can add +1 button easily.