How to stop people stealing pictures from my blog

Hi

I saw another site using my pictures from my blog. Is there a way to stop people from stealking my pictures from my blog?

MY blog and site using my [URL=“http://www.scribbal.com/2011/05/dunkin-donuts-launches-game-promoting-new-coolatta-drink-on-facebook-unfreeze-it/”]pic

Start putting watermarks on your images.

You can also put a copyright message in the image’s metadata (You can do this in batches in photoshop). However, I’m not sure how successful this actually is at preventing your images from being lifted from your site.

You can also try prevent hotlinking through htaccess: Stop Hotlinking with htaccess. Test your Image Hotlink Protection with our Hotlink Checker from altlab.com. But–this won’t stop someone from copying the image and using it themselves.

You can also keep checking with http://www.tineye.com/ to see if your image is showing up anywhere else (there’s firefox and chrome extension for it too)

For this particular instance, if you own the copyright to the image, sent a DMCA notice to the admin contact of the website. Here’s a sample template: DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement - Sample Template

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess there’s no really a good way to stop people from stealing my pictures. I guess i have to put water marks on the image.

You can also disable the right click menu, but this will put off only the most novice of users.

Watermark works well as if a browser likes the images they will tend to want to go to your site, so in effect someone taking your images is giving you free marketing.

Basically watermark is the way to go forsure. With the new windows 7 snipping tool its virtually impossibly to stop people from taking you pictures even with right click disabling scripts. Good luck!

I would highly recommend not doing that. It’s a very annoying feature and doesn’t actually prevent someone from copying images.

I agree. The only people who will be impacted by that are people who right click for other reasons. Those wanting th steal the images will re-enable their right click in one of the many ways that you can bypass the script.

Watermarking, though it might ruin the integrity of the image, is the only way to really protect your images. Otherwise, the user can always take a screenshot and take them that way. If they have Photoshop, and they really, really want to use the image, they can still remove the watermark, but most users won’t know how to do that. If a watermark is too intrusive, you could always put a small copyright over the image itself, but in the bottom corner.

Thank you all! I send an e-mail to their site through contact and i even left an comment on that article. Still, i got no reply. I thought no one would steal my image because it’s not professional or good looking, but i guess i was wrong.

Did you sent a DMCA notice, or a polite email?

I send them a polite email.

Did you send the email to addresses listed on the webpage AND the one listed in the WHOIS information for the domain?

If so, I’d give it 3 business days before dropping a DMCA notice.

They replied and now they put the credit for my image on their article. Thanks guys!

Even if you disable the right click option then also they can copy your images by just using the drag and drop function. Once an image shown in the browser there is no such an efficient way for protecting the image. But we can do some copy right protection to the image.

Using .htaccess to prevent image hotlinking pretty much just hurts you. The thief can just save your image and upload it - but when you want to share your posts on Facebook, you get no thumbnail.

You can always allow specific domains, such as facebook.com–not just your own.

I usually get my blog post images from google images. Since i am not an artist or a photographer, I depend on google on how to add images for my posts. I think this is the usual doing of many bloggers out there. Since its from google search, my post images came from various websites and blogs. Is this ok or legal at all? Otherwise, I really don’t know where to get images for my blog posts…any suggestion guys?

Great to hear that! Handle things with professional not with emotional, you have granted a citation from the person :slight_smile:

It depends. Did the copyright owner of the image give you permission (because he released the image under a certain license, or he specifically states on his website you can use them, or you asked him and he gave you permission, or…) to use his images on your website? Do you give credit to the owner (if required by the license/owner)?

Otherwise, I really don’t know where to get images for my blog posts…any suggestion guys?

You could always ask for permission. Or search for images that are released under a license that gives you permission to use them.

no, it isn’t