Interview: How SitePoint Manages and Prioritizes Monitoring

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/manage-and-prioritize-systems-monitoring/
This post was sponsored by PagerDuty. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make SitePoint possible!

Like many developers, I expect stuff to just work … and throw a tantrum when it doesn’t! Behind the scenes, many technical people are working their magic to integrate hardware, software and services into a workable cohesive system. In this article I interview Jude Aakjaer about his DevOps duties and experiences at SitePoint.

Craig Buckler: Hey Jude! (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) Could you tell us who you are and what you do for SitePoint?

Jude Aakjaer: Hey Craig. Not a problem — unsurprisingly I do get that quite often!

I’m one of the developers working on products and systems at both SitePoint and Learnable. That means backend programming in Ruby and PHP, but also DevOps tasks.

CB: What are the biggest challenges and issues do you face daily?

JA: Definitely sorting the signal from the noise. If we jumped at every package update email and every website exception we would never get any work done!

As well as updates, we also need to fix issues and bugs with the code. It doesn’t matter how good or robust your code is — errors will occur. The challenge is identifying which problems require immediate attention and which can be examines as part of a wider refactoring task.

CB: Where do you receive alerts from?

JA: We use a variety of tools to monitor different parts of applications and services.
Continue reading this article on SitePoint

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.